Any way to rescue my OS by loading with a virtual machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2018
Hello,
So I've got a few issues.. I'm trying to revive an old desktop XP system that won't boot (gets stuck while loading system files if using safe mode, and restarts after "mup.sys".. this is a separate problem though), and I believe it is a hardware issue (old computer and the cpu fan was practically off when i opened it last.. who knows what else is wrong in there).

Aside from addressing the root issue, my hope was to use the hard drive create a full system image and then load the iso file in a virtual machine, to use on another computer. Is this at ALL possible? I can say that the files on the hard drive all seem to be intact, as I can load it using and external USB drive enclosure and view/copy the files on another computer. I figured making an iso copy of the drive would allow me to mount to a virtual machine and boot the OS, but I've never done this and don't know how that works.
Further, if it does work, I'm not quite sure what I can use to create the iso.. I have aomei backupper pro but it creates it's own proprietary image file (.adi) and I don't think I can even try to load that with virtualbox..

I've read that I can create a proper image once inside the OS by using disk2vhd, but I can't get the OS to load fully to even try this..

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Unfortunately I can't start with a fresh install of the OS, as I need the programs, file paths, and other things intact in order to open certain legacy files.

Try using a disk clone utility to clone the drive to another one. If that works, you are set, if it won't work, then you will not be able to make a virtual disk image either. I use Macrium Reflect, they have a free version that works great. You will need to make a boot media for this, along with having a second hard drive to use, either USB or mount is as a second drive. Just make sure you clone the right drive or you can wipe the existing one with the new blank one.

Feb 27, 2018
Thanks for the reply. I wanted to confirm a few things just so I don't screw anything up..

I was able to get Macrium reflect. Can you let me know if the following plan is ok?
I have a USB hard drive with data already on it, but enough space to hold the full contents of the drive I'm trying to copy. I plan to make a partition on this drive, using Aomei partition manager (which I initially used to test out imaging the drive, and it completed successfully but they use a proprietary file type that isn't .iso, and I don't know what to do with that or how to try and test that as a virtual disk image). I'll then use Macrium to clone the drive onto the newly formed partition.
When I do this (assuming that's actually ok rather than using a completely empty drive), what do I need to do to create the boot media? Will it be on the newly cloned drive/partition or is the boot media on a separate USB or location. Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

One other thing, when you say I can mount as a second drive, does that mean I can do this with the image file without having the need for an external or additional drive?

Feb 27, 2018
I was able to successfully clone the drive to another one using Macrium Reflect. Now I just need help in how to prepare that drive (or the drive’s info, rather) to be booted as a virtual machine.
thanks again

USAFRet

Titan

Possible solution:
https://www.joe0.com/2017/09/27/how-to-convert-physical-windows-computer-to-virtualbox-virtual-machine/

This uses "Disk2vhd" from Microsoft to encapsulate the "PC" into a VHD, which can then be used by VirtualBox.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/disk2vhd

That cloned drive won't boot in the XP system? If not, you can try different RAM in it or one RAM stick at a time.

Feb 27, 2018
So I finally was able to create the VHD and attempt loading in Virtualbox. Interestingly, it behaved the exact same way in the virtual system as it did in the physical desktop: it starts with a screen saying windows didn't shut down properly and gives you the option for the safe modes, last known good configuration, and start windows normally. If I choose any other mode besides safe mode, the virtual system freezes. If I choose safe mode, it loads like it did on the desktop, loading drivers up until mup.sys, then hanging and freezing after that.
I assume this is really important and seems to narrow down that it may not be the hardware after all? Any idea for what I should do next?

Feb 27, 2018
I didn't attempt to boot from the cloned drive on the physical system yet. but If you look at my other post (and given the fact that it loads the same way in the virtual world), should I still try it along with changing the RAM?
Also the cloned version is on an external USB drive. If that were to work, would I be ok just plugging it in to the desktop and then choosing it from the boot order menu?

USAFRet

Titan

That looks like it is/was an OS in a bad state.
It might be due to the original hardware not letting the OS properly shut down or operate, but completely unknown.

Might be the original hardware, might be a hosed up OS.

Feb 27, 2018
So am I more or less screwed at this point?
assuming it's possible it was something with the OS.. is it at all possible to recover a restore point stored on the drive somewhere, or repair XP?

Feb 27, 2018
Thanks for the article- unfortunately this didn't work out. When choosing "last known good configuation", it only showed one "windows xp" option to choose from. I assume that means there aren't any other restore points saved on the system?

I did notice that after trying the F8 menu instead, there was one particular time where I actually saw the windows XP loading logo (it's been years) and it seemed like it was coming on. after a while though it brought up a new blue screen, and quickly flashed a message. the only part I could catch before it restarted was "a virus has been detected or other.."

With this in mind, is there a way to either
1) run virus scans and clean it out before the system actually boots, or
2) repair XP using an installation disc?
2a) if so, how would I go about finding an XP disc, or getting a mountable/burnable .iso ?

additionally, is it possible to troubleshoot this issue on the virtual machine using virtualbox by running virus scans in the virtual realm, or does it not work that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.