Any way to shave some $ off this build?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
Ok wait, i think i remember now. I don't think it had trays but i think instead of using screws to secure it, you line it up with the screw holes and it had a plastic bracket with a piece you turned that tightened it into place and you secured it that way. Been a while but it seems like that was how it worked, check the pictures for confirmation though.

That's what I was talking about when I listed the options that make a case worthwhile versus just being flashy. I'd much rather have, and recommend, an understated case with very good features than the flashiest case with few worthwhile features.

Honestly, almost every really decent case focuses on quality and features and doesn't worry much about lights and spaceship looking designs. If you want a good quality case with nice features at a reasonable price, forget about the flashy stuff. Or, just buy a roll of led lighting and light it up yourself. Even just getting LED fans will add a little pop to it. Honestly, most people stick them under the desk or otherwise forget them a week later and just focus on USING them. I recommend building for features and performance first and aesthetics second. If you can increase the budget a bit for the case it would make it easier to find a happy medium and go with a slightly better case that does have a little flash to it.

Personally, there's not really much that Thermaltake makes that I like, and that goes for their cases, power supplies, fans, and pretty much anything else that carries their label. But that's just my preference though.

bluefan89

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
Sound advice, I have ditched the spaceship case notion....waited too long to order now it is about as much as case to get it here by 24th.
Going to try and go with your corsair recommendation

I will say that as far as Thermaltake, I'm not always hip on their power supplies. I'll use them in a pinch, fans they are ok. As far as cases i don't see much wrong with them. The mounting system is not bad and is still tool less, just a different way to do it. But in the case of that v3 for example, i like the fact most of my standoffs ate already raised so just find the one or 2 that do need added and literally drop the board in.

Can't say I've used corsair cases, I've used some of their power supplies and have been happy so I'm sure the cases are good as well.

Corsair PSUs are crappy too, for the most part. Their power supplies are either cheap quality or overpriced, rarely a combination of quality and affordability.

These days, most cases come with integrated stand offs, the ones that don't mainly consist of models that have been around for some time. I really don't think installing a few standoffs is a reason to knock points off a case though.