[SOLVED] Any way to use an Iomega Zip drive on a modern PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraith_3

Honorable
Jul 28, 2017
I have some of my grandpa's ZIP disks and they aren't marked and I need to make sure there aren't any family photos on them. He has a ZIP drive (mine is looooong gone) and it has a 50pin SCSI (I think) ribbon cable. Neither PC I have has a connector on the mobo for it any more. Is there any way I can get something that will let me hook it up?

Solution
I remember that they do have adapters but they were hard to find even back when SCSI was getting phased out to USB so today its probably going to be very hard.

You'll probably have an easier time finding a used USB Zipdrive or even a IDE Zipdrive then a IDE to USB adapter. Looking on eBay the USB Zipdrives seem to be going for around 15-30 USD.
I remember that they do have adapters but they were hard to find even back when SCSI was getting phased out to USB so today its probably going to be very hard.

You'll probably have an easier time finding a used USB Zipdrive or even a IDE Zipdrive then a IDE to USB adapter. Looking on eBay the USB Zipdrives seem to be going for around 15-30 USD.

Solution
You could also get a PCI scsi card to hook it up but I have to say I used to have a scsi one back in the day and it was really slow I used a USB one lately on windows 10 (it installed drivers automatically) and it was super fast,maybe it's because of the CPU though.

Jan 11, 2021
I have some of my grandpa's ZIP disks and they aren't marked and I need to make sure there aren't any family photos on them. He has a ZIP drive (mine is looooong gone) and it has a 50pin SCSI (I think) ribbon cable. Neither PC I have has a connector on the mobo for it any more. Is there any way I can get something that will let me hook it up?
Hi Im purchasing a lead from Aliexpress
Converter Cable 25 Pin 25Pin LPT USB to DB25 Cable
  • Whether or not this will work is in question. Ill let you know the outcome of this.

Jun 15, 2021
... even a IDE Zipdrive then a IDE to USB adapter. ...
Except that won't work. I have tried many many IDE to USB adapters on my IDE ZIP drive (with jumpers on Master, Slave, or either with or without the "A" jumper) and none work.
If you ever find one that does work, please let me know.

The zip discs are probably all bad by now
You'd be surprised. I just took my two Parallel Zip drives (and one IDE) from storage along with about 50 disks. They all still work and one had files on I thought I had lost forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.