[SOLVED] Any worthwhile windows migration program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
As a computer repair technician, I usually install windows and transfer data from a previous Windows computer (Windows 10, 8 or 7).

I wonder if there is any reliable transfer software so that I can transfer data, settings and all that can possibly be transferred from an old PC to a new PC, such as by plugging the system drive to the new PC, or to a different PC.

Windows offers some software for this: is this worth your while for techs doing simple reinstalls and transfers?:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/configmgr/desktop-analytics/overview

Please correct me if I’m wrong: my idea is that these transfer apps are not worth the hassle and it’s better to just install and transfer the data manually either with file explorer, robocopy, Acronis or something of the sort even though this is much longer and laborious.

Any advice much appreciated

Solution
When and if I am working with a PC that is operational, I generally ask my "clients" to transfer out anything they wish to keep to an external drive, etc. Even after that, there is a handful of folders which I will check for content and just copy over, run a scan on, and have ready to put into a temp folder on the desktop of the new install. I always let them know that I do not do data recovery, and I don't offer being able to bring over their OS (and data) exactly as it was before. I tend to push the "clean slate" aspect.

What you are asking sounds a lot like just doing a clone, which I am sure you are aware doesn't offer optimal performance when machine specs are not the same. The only time I utilize that methodology is when doing...

USAFRet

Titan
Please correct me if I’m wrong: my idea is that these transfer apps are not worth the hassle and it’s better to just install and transfer the data manually
This is correct.

There are several applications that purport to be able to transfer settings, programs, data between two systems and OS.
NONE of them are 100%.

The time you spend fixing what it screws up or does not transfer is longer than just doing it correctly the first time....new install of your applications after the new OS install.

Reactions: Rodion15

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
When and if I am working with a PC that is operational, I generally ask my "clients" to transfer out anything they wish to keep to an external drive, etc. Even after that, there is a handful of folders which I will check for content and just copy over, run a scan on, and have ready to put into a temp folder on the desktop of the new install. I always let them know that I do not do data recovery, and I don't offer being able to bring over their OS (and data) exactly as it was before. I tend to push the "clean slate" aspect.

What you are asking sounds a lot like just doing a clone, which I am sure you are aware doesn't offer optimal performance when machine specs are not the same. The only time I utilize that methodology is when doing base install on a group of same machines. As a for instance, I pick up groups of Dell office builds from time to time and doing a fresh install off a clone works great for those.

Reactions: Rodion15
Solution

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

What you are asking sounds a lot like just doing a clone, which I am sure you are aware doesn't offer optimal performance when machine specs are not the same. The only time I utilize that methodology is when doing base install on a group of same machines. As a for instance, I pick up groups of Dell office builds from time to time and doing a fresh install off a clone works great for those.
Thanks for your great answer, and thanks to USAFRet too. It's much more clear now.

Status
Not open for further replies.