[SOLVED] Anybody else unhappy with the Asus PG279Q?

yaggaz

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
TLDR: Monitor way too big, too bright, hot glowing colours, hurts my neck and eyes. Feels too zoomed in.

I am going to return mine and I have never been SO conflicted with a piece of hardware before in my life. Usually I love or hate something, but here I was torn.

Have you ever gone to the movies and only the front row seat is open and you end up watching the movie but your neck is craned up, and you feel too "zoomed in" on the action? That's how I felt with the PG279Q, as no matter how far I pushed it back it felt too big and even though I lowered it as much as it would go on the stand my neck was back and I was looking upward to the center of the screen, causing neck aches and eye strain.

Colours way too hot. UI elements especially "Glowed" REALLY bright constantly making me blink.

I tried to follow every Calibration suggestion I could find and it was always too washed out, too bright or too dark.

All four corners had incredible amounts of either light bleed or IPS glow that was really distracting.

I did love the feel of gaming with G-Sync with FPS hitting around 100 to 120 in modern games at 1440p, and textures, blacks, lighting effects seemed so gorgous, so this is why I was torn. But the pros were too minimal.

I just don't get the desire for 27 inch monitors for desktop gaming. If I wanted a TV I'd buy a small OLED Television.

Anyways just curious if you had a similar experience to me? Or maybe I'm just getting too picky in my old age :)

Solution
I don't have any problems similar to what you describe with mine - I'm very happy with it.

I avoid ussing 165Hz though, but at 144Hz it is one of the best monitors I have had for a while.

I have the older TN panel version of the monitor as well, and while it also a good monitor, and it has served me well, the upgrade to the PG279Q IPS panel has been great (and the difference is obvious now that I have both monitors right next to eachother)
I don't have any problems similar to what you describe with mine - I'm very happy with it.

I avoid ussing 165Hz though, but at 144Hz it is one of the best monitors I have had for a while.

I have the older TN panel version of the monitor as well, and while it also a good monitor, and it has served me well, the upgrade to the PG279Q IPS panel has been great (and the difference is obvious now that I have both monitors right next to eachother)

Last edited:
Reactions: yaggaz and GarrettL
Solution