[SOLVED] Anyone can recommend a good pressured air duster for PC?

Flonne

Prominent
Aug 16, 2021
Apologies if this isn't the correct subforum, but cleaning is an important aspect of owning a PC often overlooked, so i am posting this under PC components.

I am looking for an electric air duster for PC.

Something like these:

q480p4X.jpg

x6tHzqX.jpg

The problem is that there are hundreds of brands and it's difficult to know which have the CORRECT pressure for a PC and which ones are way too weak or way too powerful, even if advertised for PC. I am looking for these electric pressured air dusters as they are far more convenient and cheap over time than buying compressed air cans or going to a tech service to get your PC dusted every few months.

Some reviews on amazon on PC pressure air dusters are, frankly, concerning (even if there are youtubers reviewing them with 5 stars):

oN2G4iC.png

I would hate to destroy my graphic card or motherboard with an air duster...

So...like the title says, i am looking for suggestions for a GOOD and SAFE FOR PC pressured air duster to clean my desktop PC and keyboard.

Last edited:
Solution
The biggest issue with using an air compressor is that just by the nature of them unless you utilize special filters the tank will slowly fill with water from humidity. It is very dangerous to use unfiltered air from a run of the mill shop compressor.
That's true...and if you maintain your compressor right the air stream also has oil in it. That said...an inline water/oil separator doesn't have to be exotic or expensive to work.

https://www.harborfreight.com/oilwater-separator-68246.html

Get two of those, put them in series and blast away with confidence. Just be sure to service them frequently though.

And I wouldn't let fans free-spin under air pressure...that's a great way to burn up bearings fast.
D

Deleted member 362816

I have been using a air compressor for 15+ years to clean my pc's I have never killed anything yet. When you blow the fans just hold the fins so they don't move.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The biggest issue with using an air compressor is that just by the nature of them unless you utilize special filters the tank will slowly fill with water from humidity. It is very dangerous to use unfiltered air from a run of the mill shop compressor.

As an aside, no need to hold fans still...

There are a couple of YT reviewers that use handheld blowers that are small. In my own case I take the PC out on the driveway and use a leaf blower on it several times a year. I use the cans of compressed air (or did before they went sky high $) about once a month.

That's true...and if you maintain your compressor right the air stream also has oil in it. That said...an inline water/oil separator doesn't have to be exotic or expensive to work.

https://www.harborfreight.com/oilwater-separator-68246.html

Get two of those, put them in series and blast away with confidence. Just be sure to service them frequently though.

And I wouldn't let fans free-spin under air pressure...that's a great way to burn up bearings fast.

Reactions: punkncat
Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

This is actually not a failure vector I had ever considered in respect to that. Good point.

My air compressor at home is an oil-less model. I drain it pretty regularly, but Georgia is often VERY high humidity so I don't like to chance it for in use/together builds. Components that are not in use and you have time to be sure they are dry it should not pose any issue.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't even bother with that electric stuff.
I take a soft paintbrush, dip it in alcohol, squeeze the excess off, and make some gentle passes over the motherboard and gpu.
The rest is done by hand with some good ol' soap n water.
Suppose not everyone has time for that...