[SOLVED] Anyone have a Ryzen 7 3700x CPU with stock prism cooler or a similar cpu?

Wonderclam

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
what temperatures are you getting on your CPUs and how are you managing your CPU fan speed settings? Through BIOS or through AMD's software on windows? This morning my cpu was showing an average of 55C while PC is on idle

My cpu fan keeps ramping up every so often even on idle. Pretty noisy

Solution
Custom profile in BIOS? I'll try and set it to 60% fan speed and have it ramp to 100% only when it gets to 80C. I didn't see any option there that will disable pulsing. Or any option at all. BIOS fan setting only has the option of setting 4 fan speeds tied to 4 temperature setpoints

There aren't any options to do that...I mean do basically what you said. Set it at 60% speed (I assume whisper quiet for a Dark Rock) up to the first set point which is, I guess, 80C where it goes to 100%. That might work for you, others have their own style.

I use more of the set points for instance... about 30% up to 70C, then 40% up to 80C, then 60% up to 95C where it goes to 100%.

But I've got liquid cooling with a ton of thermal capacity...

SkyRock1986

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Okay I have a Ryzen 7 3700x with Warith Prism, so I have some experience with this. That cooler is actually VERY NICE. In my opinion a lot of people are mistaken when they say the cooler is junk or is not sufficient. However with that said a couple things should be done.

First, what are you watching temps with? A lot of software may not be up to date on Ryzen 3000 and will give you inaccurate reads. Only use Ryzen Master for now.

Secondly, Go to Control Panel, Power Options, Advanced properties, processor power management and change your minimum power state to 20% .

Thirdly, Its still not a bad idea to adjust fan curves slightly, but not so much it sounds like a helicopter. (Like I said the cooler is nice, if you installed correctly you should not need to do a whole lot with fan curves unless its super hot in your room naturally.)

This processor does run warmer keep that in mind too you have 8 cores. I went from a 2600x to this and it was a pretty noticable difference in heat. Mine idles at about 42/43 when my room is warmer. But I made a couple adjustments. I keep my case fans on silent in bios and my cpu fan on standard.

Wonderclam

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
My CPU temp keeps fluctuating on idle. Goes from 40s to high 60s the goes back down. Im using ryzen master. All i got on are firefox and chrome. No games or anything like that in the background.

Is this normal?
Okay I have a Ryzen 7 3700x with Warith Prism, so I have some experience with this. That cooler is actually VERY NICE. In my opinion a lot of people are mistaken when they say the cooler is junk or is not sufficient. However with that said a couple things should be done.

First, what are you watching temps with? A lot of software may not be up to date on Ryzen 3000 and will give you inaccurate reads. Only use Ryzen Master for now.

Secondly, Go to Control Panel, Power Options, Advanced properties, processor power management and change your minimum power state to 20% .

Thirdly, Its still not a bad idea to adjust fan curves slightly, but not so much it sounds like a helicopter. (Like I said the cooler is nice, if you installed correctly you should not need to do a whole lot with fan curves unless its super hot in your room naturally.)

This processor does run warmer keep that in mind too you have 8 cores. I went from a 2600x to this and it was a pretty noticable difference in heat. Mine idles at about 42/43 when my room is warmer. But I made a couple adjustments. I keep my case fans on silent in bios and my cpu fan on standard.

Wonderclam

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Ok thanks. It's a 40 degree fluctuation on idle over and over so I thought there was something wrong with it.

I am just going to buy the quietest CPU cooler I can find

Maybe even a water cooler

Ok thanks. It's a 40 degree fluctuation on idle over and over so I thought there was something wrong with it.

I am just going to buy the quietest CPU cooler I can find

Maybe even a water cooler
Water coolers are nice but those fans will still pulse without a custom profile to ignore the low-energy boost spikes. So try this...

Set up a custom fan profile to ignore those pulsing temps. That would be a flat speed that you can barely, or comfortably, hear for all temp to about 60-65C, then ramp up to 85-90C where it's noticeably loud but not ear piercing. Only in the 90-95C range should you let it get really loud, so you know it's in the uncomfortable range of temperature.

That's what most people do to fix this.

I'll try that but I bought a be quiet dark rock pro 4 cpu cooler from Amazon. Seems to be the consensus most quiet air cooler. Wont get it til a week from now though

View: https://youtu.be/0fq-oi7p6r4
No doubt, reviews and experience all point to it and NHD15's as the very best air coolers. But the fans will still pulse at idle unless you control them with a custom profile. It's just the nature of Ryzen and AM4 motherboards.

Reactions: GarrettL

Wonderclam

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Custom profile in BIOS? I'll try and set it to 60% fan speed and have it ramp to 100% only when it gets to 80C. I didn't see any option there that will disable pulsing. Or any option at all. BIOS fan setting only has the option of setting 4 fan speeds tied to 4 temperature setpoints

No doubt, reviews and experience all point to it and NHD15's as the very best air coolers. But the fans will still pulse at idle unless you control them with a custom profile. It's just the nature of Ryzen and AM4 motherboards.

There aren't any options to do that...I mean do basically what you said. Set it at 60% speed (I assume whisper quiet for a Dark Rock) up to the first set point which is, I guess, 80C where it goes to 100%. That might work for you, others have their own style.

I use more of the set points for instance... about 30% up to 70C, then 40% up to 80C, then 60% up to 95C where it goes to 100%.

But I've got liquid cooling with a ton of thermal capacity before it saturates and need to raise fans to shed heat. I don't really think it ever has, actually, with my 3700X as it's never gotten above 85 that I can recollect even Folding@Home for a day. Air coolers saturate almost immediately (even a DR Pro) but have a lot better ability to shed the heat if you have proper case cooling.

Solution