Question Anyone have ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero wifi motherboard here?

Apr 21, 2020
Hi, does anyone have this motherboard?
I am after help with the BIOS settings and what to use for installing 2 x M.2 NVMe Samsung 970 SSD.
I had a 1TB in and working but then wanted to change its' use to Data and install a 2nd 970 250GB for Windows 10 Pro OS only.
My problem is I think the BIOS can see the new drive but Windows 10 cannot during the install process.
Is there anyone who can let me know what settings I should be using incase I am doing something wrong.
I have had ASUS tech telling me to check my motherboard can support 2 x M.2 and whether SATA slots disable the M.2 !!!! This seems bloody strange that ASUS tech doesn't even know their own product specs and how to check for this info!!!
I am almost at the point of returning the MB as not functioning and due to lack of support. Maybe I have just been unlucky with who I have dealt with.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Kev

Lutfij

Titan
Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Your board has two M.2 slots that can accept NVMe and SATA based M.2 SSD's. The question is, what processor are you working with on that motherboard? You should be good to go, but make sure you have only the SSD populating the board on which you plan to install the OS on and have all other storage devices disconnected.

Also, forum etiquette is to post your full system's specs in your thread's body(as opposed to showing them off in sig space and hope someone reads it) since sig space specs can and will change over time. Think of the poor soul who'll be in the same boat as you but doesn't know what to do since the specs changed in the sig space.

Reactions: subseauk
Apr 21, 2020
Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Your board has two M.2 slots that can accept NVMe and SATA based M.2 SSD's. The question is, what processor are you working with on that motherboard? You should be good to go, but make sure you have only the SSD populating the board on which you plan to install the OS on and have all other storage devices disconnected.

Also, forum etiquette is to post your full system's specs in your thread's body(as opposed to showing them off in sig space and hope someone reads it) since sig space specs can and will change over time. Think of the poor soul who'll be in the same boat as you but doesn't know what to do since the specs changed in the sig space.
Thanks mate
As per your instructions here is my system specs:
Motherboard - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII HERO wifi.
CPU -Ryzen 9 3900x
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming Blower, 11GB GDDR5X Graphics Card 11G-P4-5390-KR
RAM - Corsair 32Gb (4x8) DDR4 3200Mhz. PSU - 750W EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3, Full Modular 80 PLUS Gold
Case - Cooler Master, Mastercase MC600P (with 3 x 120 internal exhaust fans ). OS - Windows 10 64Bit[/I]
CPU Cooler - Fractal Design Celsius S36, 360mm All-In-One Hydro Cooler CPU Cooler ( 3x intake fans)
Primary HD - Intended to be a Samsung 970 EVO 250GB Nvme SSD
Secondary HD - Intended to be a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB Nvme SSD
Case - Cooler Master, Mastercase MC600P (with 3 x 120 internal exhaust fans ).
OS - Windows 10 64Bit[/I]

I had the 1TB installed as the primary drive originally but wanted to have a dedicated drive for the OS ( Windows 10 Pro ) which is why I got a second M.2 NVMe card for this. Now I have installed the 250GB NVMe into the same slot as the 1TB was in and all other SATA data and power cables were removed but the drive was not seen in Windows install process.
I have tried:
reseating the NVMe in the 2nd slot - same
reseating all the memory individually - same
using the original NVMe 1TB and the 250GB NVMe cards - showed the 1TB card but not the 250GB, did this in the hope of installing the 250GB via Windows on the 1TB NVMe card - not seen in disk manager.
I would suspect the 250GB NVMe card as faulty but it passes the self test via the BIOS !!
I have changed may settings in the BIOS ( under instructions from ASUS and Retailer Tech support ) no change. But I am now at a point where I don't know where I am at with regards to the BIOS settings.
I have Cleared the CMOS ( I am not sure if resetting the CMOS puts the BIOS back to a default state )
I have reset the BIOS and reinstalled the latest from ASUS ( 2206)
I am not a PC tech type guy so I have been relying on help from forums and tech support with various issues to this point but I am not convinced that the techs helping me with this problem are familiar with their own products or just following a flow chart diagnoses which is not helping.

Any thoughts on where to go next? I will be requesting a change of NVMe card on Monday and failing that a full refund on the board Tuesday!!

Cheers
Kev

alexbirdie

Respectable
I do have ASUS crosshair viii hero with 3950x, but only "normal" SSDs and no NVMe. Therefore no experience with nvme-drives.

But because in near future I might give it a try, I am curious, how your problem will be fixed, because I read a lot of user-posts ( for different motherboards from different vendors) about problems with NVMe-SSDs.

Good luck.