Question Anyone heard of Ironside brand SSD's?

Uh-huh.....that sticker is pretty-much what you can have lithoed-up for almost zero cost, and the SSD case looks like a hunk of plastic injection molded around something un-nameable.

Funny that you can buy a new Kingston 120Gb SSD on AMZ for 19USD and free shipping....Not that it's actually worth it, mind you, but they work for Ready Boost and Page File on win-systems.

USAFRet

Titan
Nothing wrong with 120Gb SSDs. They just require more diligence on space management. Larger SSDs are more about convenience, although life expectancy and r/w speeds are often better, but on a $20 budget, that's not a concern
On a $20 budget, you get both small AND crappy.
For the added price of a delivered pizza, you can alleviate one or both of those issues.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Nothing wrong with 120Gb SSDs. They just require more diligence on space management. Larger SSDs are more about convenience, although life expectancy and r/w speeds are often better, but on a $20 budget, that's not a concern
Especially when 99% of it's life will be spent booting puppy Linux that will spend 99% of it's life web browsing and playing youtube videos.

USAFRet

Titan
If all you do is web browsing an utube, even a 32GB drive is sort of OK.
I have 2 Asus Transformers. One with a 32GB eMMC/2GB RAM and one with a 64GB eMMC/4GB RAM.
Strictly travel devices, both running Win 10.

The 64GB is currently upgrading itself to Win 10 v1903, and the 32GB will be doing that later tonight.

Strictly web browsing/email/travel devices.
And both with a 256GB microSD card as a D drive, for all that other stuff.

Any actual PC? 120GB is TooSmall.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ooo haters lol.
My 128Gb Samsung 840 Pro does just fine with OS and OS related stuff like Office and Adobe. That includes Steam base files. Rest of the stuff is on a 1Tb hdd. Works just fine. Just need to do things like delete hiberfil.sys, that alone freed up 12Gb. Documents, downloads, pagefile is shoved onto hdd.

Been this way for 6 years now. Given the choice of crappy $20 ssd or a pizza and everything loaded from hdd, I'd starve for a minute and go with the ssd.

USAFRet

Titan
Ooo haters lol.
My 128Gb Samsung 840 Pro does just fine with OS and OS related stuff like Office and Adobe. That includes Steam base files. Rest of the stuff is on a 1Tb hdd. Works just fine. Just need to do things like delete hiberfil.sys, that alone freed up 12Gb. Documents, downloads, pagefile is shoved onto hdd.

Been this way for 6 years now. Given the choice of crappy $20 ssd or a pizza and everything loaded from hdd, I'd starve for a minute and go with the ssd.
Given sufficient management, a 120GB can work.
Most people aren't that diligent...:)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Until now, the Windows 10 feature update downloadshave been about 4.8GB because Microsoft releases the x64 and x86 versions bundled as a singledownload. There's now going to be an x64-only package option that's about 2.6GB in size, saving customers about 2.2GB on the previous bundleddownload size.

Windows with all its bloatware intact only uses @ 65Gb. It's doable.

Last edited:
If I were sufficiently motivated, and could locate all the parts...
LOL....at this stage of life, that's the problem: Developing the motivation to dig through all the "stuff"[1] to find something.

[1] As George Carlin used to say, it's called "stuff" because it belongs to you. "Stuff" that belongs to other people is referred to by an entirely different noun.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Side note on low capacity - it depends on your use case. I used a 128GB for the Micro Machine (see my sig) - but, it's a Linux box that doesn't get a lot of use. I'm somewhere in the vicinity of 20GB of total space being used on it.

Dual booting Windows 10 and Puppy Linux, though? Well....

Especially when 99% of it's life will be spent booting puppy Linux that will spend 99% of it's life web browsing and playing youtube videos.

Yeah, that would be fine. And, even if you're giving only half of the space to Windows - a clean install of Windows can be done in under 16GB, you just have to be very careful managing updates, space usage, etc. It's doable if you're not doing a lot with the Windows side.