Question Anyone know a backup software LIKE Macrium? I want a 2nd backup program

grahamk

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Hi,

I’m looking for advice on a second backup program.

I already use Macrium Reflect, but I need another backup program in case Macrium fails. It has once, as have other backup software.

I do incremental system and data backups daily. I start a new full backup the first of every month. I want to use one program (Macrium) to backup to one hard drive and another program (still looking) to backup to another drive. Each month I save full copies to external hard drives.

I want a software that allows me to edit my monthly backup configurations just like Macrium does. I’ve tried Acronis, Aomei, Ashampoo and EaseUS but found them wanting. With these programs, if you want to create a new backup at the beginning of the month, you have to create it from scratch. This is annoying when you have to select a lot of data folders and files rather than a whole drive.

I’ve searched the Internet but haven’t found anything. Quite a few backup programs seem to offer only instantaneous/live backups. What I want is historical/daily incremental backups I can retrieve if my system fails or I need to retrieve an earlier copy of a document.

The software you recommend can be free or commercial. I’d rather not have command line software, though. Something like Macrium would be great.

My thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.

At one time (10 years ago?) Paragon had an extensive line of disk management software.

I think it's a British outfit. Had a good reputation. I used some of their stuff quite successfully, but can't recall the exact capabilities.

Not sure how much of it is available at no charge.

Just now fished out their website for the first time in ages:

grahamk

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
How did your Macrium routine 'fail'?

Macrium Reflect is the best I've found, taking into account all the other ones you mention.
It failed because I didn't check the log files. Macrium (at least a couple of years ago) will not copy your system if there is an error in MBR/BCD (I forget which). I think it was an error in the physical hard drive itself, maybe just a byte gone bad.

You need to run chkdsk and dism EVERY day to check that there are no problems with your basic Windows files. Also check the integrity of your hard drive weekly..

Macrium copied my system for months, but when I tried to restore it, I couldn't. You live and learn. I also had a failure with Aomei forur or so years ago. I was using an old free copy. There was a bug in it which prevented me doing a restore.

Moral of the tale: you can't be too careful with backups. Now I use two programs to separate hard drives. With one hard drive, there could be a hard drive failure of course. But the a byte might fail here or there which would mess up a whole string of incremental backups.

Right now, I've given up on EaseUS so I'm again looking for a second backup program. One like Macrium. Having a hard time finding one, as stated in my post.

USAFRet

Titan
It failed because I didn't check the log files. Macrium (at least a couple of years ago) will not copy your system if there is an error in MBR/BCD (I forget which). I think it was an error in the physical hard drive itself, maybe just a byte gone bad.

You need to run chkdsk and dism EVERY day to check that there are no problems with your basic Windows files. Also check the integrity of your hard drive weekly..

Macrium copied my system for months, but when I tried to restore it, I couldn't. You live and learn. I also had a failure with Aomei forur or so years ago. I was using an old free copy. There was a bug in it which prevented me doing a restore.

Moral of the tale: you can't be too careful with backups. Now I use two programs to separate hard drives. With one hard drive, there could be a hard drive failure of course. But the a byte might fail here or there which would mess up a whole string of incremental backups.

Right now, I've given up on EaseUS so I'm again looking for a second backup program. One like Macrium. Having a hard time finding one, as stated in my post.
ALL of these tools will fail on recovery if there is a software or physical drive error.

This wasn't a Macrium fail.

I'd agree in the argument mention, turning into a more general such as if a reputational backup software fails, without any obvious reason (go to web page/forum and see if any filed bug report can explain your case included) then I'd say it's more likely there is a hardware fault rather than in software.

Btw you asked for alternative softare but didn't specify some key features .- i.e. : have you considered versioning over incremental backups? Does it have to do full disk/partition backup or can you manage - ( . . . reading thread again . . . )

Macrium (at least a couple of years ago) will not copy your system if there is an error in MBR/BCD (I forget which).
Ok, you've already answered that. Should have being mentined in first post as it rule out programs that only backup separate files - which exclude the possibility of backup with versioning method.

Some info about this: https://cyberhoot.com/cybrary/backup-versioning/

grahamk

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Hi Grobe,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I much appreciate it. I checked out https://cyberhoot.com/cybrary/backup-versioning/ It was interesting. I do what she says in-house, but I don't keep a copy off premises.

Until watching this video I'v stayed away from the cloud as I've thought it too unsave what with hackers and the like. Perhaps good encryption will make cloud backup safe: twenty random generated characters including special characters (#%*) or only something you would know - My1stpetwasabird.The2ndacat!!

I'd like to keep backups on an external hard drive outside the house (garage/shed). However, I live on Long Island, New York State where temperatures can drop to zero degrees and my outbuildings tend to be mouldy because of all the trees I have. I'm not sure how well a hard drive would maintain its integrity in this environment.

If you have the time, I'd welcome your thoughts.

P.S. Any suggestions for a backup program LIKE Macrium?

USAFRet

Titan
P.S. Any suggestions for a backup program LIKE Macrium?
Again, if this is the condition, nothing will work quite right:
"...an error in MBR/BCD (I forget which). I think it was an error in the physical hard drive itself, maybe just a byte gone bad. "

Most of the LIKE applications have already been mentioned.
EaseUS, Acronis, etc.

I've tried several, and in the Windows ecosystem, Macrium comes out on top. For me.

I'd like to keep backups on an external hard drive outside the house (garage/shed). However, I live on Long Island, New York State where temperatures can drop to zero degrees and my outbuildings tend to be mouldy because of all the trees I have. I'm not sure how well a hard drive would maintain its integrity in this environment.
I also live a place where cars seldom last more than 20 years because of harse local weather condition most part of the year. The way to preserve electrical components in - let say coastal environment - is to put them in sealed closets with heating elements that make a constant temperature.

This is doable, but is normally quite expensive for a private person (it have to be safe so that it cannot caught fire, so a random plastic closet may not be considered safe).

And there is another thing . . .
I've made myself into the Linux world for some years now, and say you manage to get cables, closet and heating to work (that is if you want to prioritize this) then there is the question about software. Thing is - you normally don't want the backup computer being ON the whole time (because that means a worm/crypto virus may get full access to that computer as well).
In Linux, there are already tools for:
  • Waking up a computer via network, you need to know the mac address of the computer (some test I did revealed this may not work on all computers for consumers, you must check this)
  • Backup folders (rsync can be set up to do versioning)
  • ssh - log in at command line from another computer, this is essential for executing shutdown command (unless you go out in the garage and doing it manually).

To achieve the same task in Windows (server I presume) I'm sorry to tell I don't know, but I'd be surprised if it turns out not being doable (you may need to buy additional software).

LovelySandriana

Commendable
Jan 19, 2020
Well, I personally use Gs Richcopy360 and love it. It has never let me down and above all very easy to use and understand. But Macruim Reflect is almost a religion here, so not that useful to talk about anything else than that.