[SOLVED] Anyone know of an absolute positioning gaming mouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertbhart

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012
Before I start getting busy with an Arduino diy project, does anyone know of a gaming mouse with absolute positioning? I.e. One that uses analog controls like potentiometers for the X and Y axis instead of relative positioning optical devices. And where the position of the pot matches the cursor position - i.e. The cursor is in the center of the screen when the pot is centered etc.

I know they make graphics tablets with absolute positioning but I can't find an absolute gaming mouse.

I don't like to use a regular mouse for aiming in FPS games. I want to aim with greater precision.

Solution
I don't like to use a regular mouse for aiming in FPS games. I want to aim with greater precision.

So you are saying that all the mice used by the pro gamers that can pick off small moving targets are doing it with bad mice? Last analog mice type I can think of would be the old roller ball mice that moved spinning wheels. Not really accurate compared to modern ones. I think you are overthinking things here. With a one to one ratio you will need to move your mouse the width of the screen to move it across the screen. Basically you will need a 24, 27" whatever size monitor you have in a mousepad size and will need to sweep across that width to move the cursor.

robertbhart

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012
It would work with a pair of linear potentiometers on rails which would allow the same motion as a regular mouse. Or, a regular style mouse on a defined base - i.e. One with set points for the screen edge and the center etc.

The key point is that uses positional data. A regular mouse only knows that it's moved left or right of wherever it was without ever recording where it was or where it moved to. With an analog device, you can get true one to one movement between your hand and the cursor.

I do it when I connect my Sega arcade guns to a Windows PC and set it up as an absolute mouse. It uses IR LEDs around the screen to create a defined edge for absolute positioning data:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOSdHet7RJc

I can build something myself but I'd rather save time and buy it if one is available.

robertbhart

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012
That is controlling the courser in a 2d environment. how would it work in the 3d world of gaming(modern gaming)?

I can't help you. But I am curious to how this will work. Following.

It would be no different to a regular mouse in this respect. A regular mouse is a 2 axis device. This would be too.

3d games usually use two controllers. Two thumb-sticks on console game pads or a keyboard and mouse on a PC.

I dont see this being an on the shelf device, let alone anything that would "improve" your in game experience.
Not only would absolute vs relative positioning not matter in terms of gaming accuracy and precision, but every game is going to handle the inputs differently so its going to be a moot point any time you switch games.

So you are saying that all the mice used by the pro gamers that can pick off small moving targets are doing it with bad mice? Last analog mice type I can think of would be the old roller ball mice that moved spinning wheels. Not really accurate compared to modern ones. I think you are overthinking things here. With a one to one ratio you will need to move your mouse the width of the screen to move it across the screen. Basically you will need a 24, 27" whatever size monitor you have in a mousepad size and will need to sweep across that width to move the cursor.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.