Anyone know of hobby kits for making dedicated computers with snap-in boards, assembly language programming?

krm27

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
When I was in high school, I went to a summer program at a tech school for kids with high PSAT scores. We got to pick different science projects and got training on how to complete them.

I chose building a dedicated computer to control a light board -- a bunch of x-mas lights attached to a wooden structure shaped like a starfish. I was taught a bit about different types of chips, and I was given a "board" full of little holes where I could push in the chips and they'd lock in place (no soldering), and then I could also run wires between the holes, also no soldering, from pin to pin.

I figured what chips I needed, did a schematic for how to wire it up, and then built it. It was maybe 10 inches by 10 inches. I also went to a lecture on assembly language, and learned enough to write an assembly program that controlled the light board so they would light up in all sorts of symmetrical patterns, (in to out, out to in, spiral, etc.). I wrote out my program on a computer, and one of the instructors put it onto one of the chips from my board, and then we hooked it up and it worked. Eventually. Some time was spent tracking down initial errors in the wiring and program.

It was a fun time, my science project got second place behind a hovercraft. I didn't pursue computers as a career. That was decades ago.

I've been looking into building my own computer (a real computer), and it brought back memories of that experience. I was thinking, as a hobby, it might be fun to find those kind of "snap in" boards for chips, learn some more about that. I know I've forgotten most of what I knew back then, and technology has advanced, but I'm up for the challenge.

I was wondering if there are hobby kits you can buy that have snap-in boards and assorted chips and stuff, for doing the kind of science project I did back then. Does anyone know about that, or know the correct name for that type of "snap in" circuit board?

Ken

Solution
i would suggest an arduino kit. a rasberry pi takes an operating system and such, its much more complicated(and can do much more complicated things) but an arduino could do what you did before. and it seems you are describing breadboards for connecting things. though 10x10 is a pretty large breadboard.

anyway, the arduino kit there will get you going with the basics of prototyping on a breadboard, as well as programming for the arduino. once you've completed all its projects youll have a much better idea of where you want to go from there and there are a ton more its with all kinds of gadgets to be found.

cosmoji

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
i would suggest an arduino kit. a rasberry pi takes an operating system and such, its much more complicated(and can do much more complicated things) but an arduino could do what you did before. and it seems you are describing breadboards for connecting things. though 10x10 is a pretty large breadboard.

anyway, the arduino kit there will get you going with the basics of prototyping on a breadboard, as well as programming for the arduino. once you've completed all its projects youll have a much better idea of where you want to go from there and there are a ton more its with all kinds of gadgets to be found.

Solution

Inkiad

Distinguished
+1 to the arduino kit.
As cosmoji said, those "snap in" boards are breadboards. Students are taught same way with breadboards and chips like you learned. At uni they are teaching me the intel 8086 to learn computer architecture. Even if technology advances, these kind of learning process would not change that much.

I wonder if i would recall the uni lab memories in future, i want to pursue my carrier as a microprocessor designer/ computer architect. Will be so nostalgic.

eblackmo

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015

We did that one also. Good times.