Anyone know where to buy an 2.5 Internal HDD enclosure for 5TB capacity?

nennis69

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
I have a 5TB Seagate Barracuda 2.5" internal drive. I need an enclosure that fits it. I prefer it not from China as it takes a month to receive them. I bought one that came from china. Works great, but the cover will not fit over it. I believe it's a 12.5 mm drive. I have seen some that fit 12.5 mm, but they say capacity 1TB or 2TB. I have searched google, newegg, ebay, etc. No luck.

Solution

What about this one?
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB-C-Hard-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B01MG9GNC5

"high-capacity drives up to 15 mm in height "
"Ships from and sold by Amazon.com."

USAFRet

Titan

What about this one?
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB-C-Hard-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B01MG9GNC5

"high-capacity drives up to 15 mm in height "
"Ships from and sold by Amazon.com."

Solution

nennis69

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
I actually tried that one. When it arrived it was very poorly constructed. It was loose and falling apart. I connected it up anyway with it's unnecessary power cord that was oddly placed. I plugged it in and it popped up with a message asking what format to use and then disappeared. The hard drive showed in Internet Explorer, but nothing would show in the window to the right. It had an error message that I can't remember now. I appreciate your hard work looking it up for me. Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan

That one won't work.
"Enclosure Case for 9.5mm 7mm 2.5 Inch"

The drive in question is 15mm thick.
"Seagate 5TB Barracuda Sata 6GB/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch 15mm"
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-2-5-Inch-Internal-ST5000LM000/dp/B01M0AADIX
Won't fit.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You reported that you had tried one with poor construction, and it included an "unnecessary power cord". Power MAY be a root of your problem.

USB2 can supply 5 VDC up to 0.5 amps. USB3 increased that to 0.9 amps max. The specs for that HDD show it uses just under 0.5 amps on write operations, but up to 1.2 amps for initial spin-up. So you'll never get it to work without using an extra power supply if you are using a USB2 port to cable to connect it to the host computer. You MIGHT or might NOT get it to work without that extra power on a USB3 port AND cable.

I suspect this drive was designed for use in laptops, but not designed with extreme low-power features for use in external "laptop drives" (or enclosures) that rely solely on power form the host USB port.

nennis69

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
I may have chose my words poorly. I said it was unnecessary, but I did plug it in and the green light did come on.

nennis69

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
This does not state how many Terabyte's it supports. I have found quite a few that have the right height and only support 2 TB HDD. Thanks for the help.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I looked for the detail on HDD capacity limit on the maker's website and could not find. You might try e-mailing them a query directly. The maker is Oyen Digital, and their info says send to:

web@oyendigital.com

The website says the unit does NOT cone with an auxiliary power supply module because it usually is not needed when used with a USB3 system, but they do have one available as an extra-cost option you can order.