Question Anyone knows swhats up with this?

Apr 11, 2021
unknown.png
2021-04-1016-29_15.41_4.png

So ive tryed everything my buddy told me to try and fix this from uninstallinga and reinstalling drivers, last night i reinstalled windows as a last resort, and to no avail.

So if anyone know if this is a software or hardware faliure and how to fix then any suggestion at this point would be nice.
even if the suggestions are a replacement budget card to replace my current Gtx 770 and which is capable of playing tarkov

thx in advance

Herr B

Commendable
May 29, 2020
is this only appening in escape from tarkov?

weird post fx settings or filter set?

the fact, that it appears to be a creenshot (bottom right of the screen) makes me rule out hardware issues.

Herr B

Commendable
May 29, 2020
ouch. doesnt sound too good then. I know simillar issues with broken gpus but normally I think you cannot take a screenshot of the issue with it.

hopefully s1 else knows the issue. in the meantime you might want to check your gpu temperature and load, try using a different output port on the gpu.

Also, you might want to give your rig (especially fans and heatsinks, intakes exhausts) a good clean. Might be from too high temps.

best would be to post your hardware details as well for following posts so everyone is in knowledge of the system.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Have you overclocked anything on your rig? If you have take each of them back to stock and see if it helps. This includes CPU, RAM and GPU. Also what are you getting for thermals? Often times instability shows up while gaming and not in the normal day to day because of the higher loads put on the machine. When I am defining an overclock on RAM I consider XMP setting overclock as well. Set back to stock SPD.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Looks like the gpu is having issues. Did you recently update the drivers. If so, have you performed a clean install using display driver uninstaller (DDU)? What are the temperatures when you run games? If you don't know download gpu z and let a benchmark run and see the results. If you see extremely high temperatures your gpu might be in need of a cleaning. If that was the issue and you cleaned the fans but it still runs extremely hot you might need to open it up and reapply the termal paste on the dye (take it to a repair shop if you're not sure what you're doing please). If temps are fine, it's most likely the gpu being on its last leg. Usually those kinds of visual issues are either the VRM or the VRAM starting to fail.

Apr 11, 2021
ouch. doesnt sound too good then. I know simillar issues with broken gpus but normally I think you cannot take a screenshot of the issue with it.

hopefully s1 else knows the issue. in the meantime you might want to check your gpu temperature and load, try using a different output port on the gpu.

Also, you might want to give your rig (especially fans and heatsinks, intakes exhausts) a good clean. Might be from too high temps.

best would be to post your hardware details as well for following posts so everyone is in knowledge of the system.
ight i didi give the whole system a good clean recently and i get about 50-60 celcius on load

Apr 11, 2021
Have you overclocked anything on your rig? If you have take each of them back to stock and see if it helps. This includes CPU, RAM and GPU. Also what are you getting for thermals? Often times instability shows up while gaming and not in the normal day to day because of the higher loads put on the machine. When I am defining an overclock on RAM I consider XMP setting overclock as well. Set back to stock SPD.
no no overclocking that i am aware off

Apr 11, 2021
Looks like the gpu is having issues. Did you recently update the drivers. If so, have you performed a clean install using display driver uninstaller (DDU)? What are the temperatures when you run games? If you don't know download gpu z and let a benchmark run and see the results. If you see extremely high temperatures your gpu might be in need of a cleaning. If that was the issue and you cleaned the fans but it still runs extremely hot you might need to open it up and reapply the termal paste on the dye (take it to a repair shop if you're not sure what you're doing please). If temps are fine, it's most likely the gpu being on its last leg. Usually those kinds of visual issues are either the VRM or the VRAM starting to fail.
Getting 50-60 celcius with load idle about 30ish and gave pc a good clean recently

Herr B

Commendable
May 29, 2020
Distorted colors? Did you try another monitor cable yet? VGA monitors often have this when the cable is damaged...
Agree, Looks like vga distortion but op took screenshot as opposed to fotographing the screen. The issue appears to be somewhere earlier.

edit:
second picture is taken perfectly straight. Take note of screenshot notification on bottom right of the screen. Would be good to know if OP uploaded the screenshot itself or took a picture from it. But im fairly confident it is the screenshot.

Last edited:

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Those artifacts are definitely vram related. If it's not temperature like OP said, it's usage. We're talking about a 770 afterall. But hey, maybe he's lucky and it's just a bad vga port/cable. Highly improbable, but you never know. Swapping a cable is way more cost efficient than a gpu afterall, so it's def worth a try.

Reactions: Herr B
Distorted colors? Did you try another monitor cable yet? VGA monitors often have this when the cable is damaged...
Looking at the second image in particular, there appear to be some polygons on the model stretching off into infinity, so it definitely looks like errors happening in the rendering process rather than anything monitor or cable-related. And of course, these appear to be screenshots, meaning they wouldn't be affected by those things anyway.

While the first image might be a photo of the screen, the second actually lists messages to the lower right stating that screenshots are being taken, and at full size is exactly 1440x900 pixels, so it's almost definitely a screenshot.

To add to this, you might try underclocking the card a bit to see if that helps. Most graphics cards tend to be "factory overclocked" to some degree at their default settings, and it's possible that the card may no longer be able to sustain those clocks. So, try reducing the graphics card's memory and/or core clocks a little at a time to see if you can get it working properly again, albeit at somewhat reduced performance.

Apr 11, 2021
Those artifacts are definitely vram related. If it's not temperature like OP said, it's usage. We're talking about a 770 afterall. But hey, maybe he's lucky and it's just a bad vga port/cable. Highly improbable, but you never know. Swapping a cable is way more cost efficient than a gpu afterall, so it's def worth a try.
pictures are with a hdmi and i tryed a vga cable and was the same

Looking at the second image in particular, there appear to be some polygons on the model stretching off into infinity, so it definitely looks like errors happening in the rendering process rather than anything monitor or cable-related. And of course, these appear to be screenshots, meaning they wouldn't be affected by those things anyway.

While the first image might be a photo of the screen, the second actually lists messages to the lower right stating that screenshots are being taken, and at full size is exactly 1440x900 pixels, so it's almost definitely a screenshot.

To add to this, you might try underclocking the card a bit to see if that helps. Most graphics cards tend to be "factory overclocked" to some degree at their default settings, and it's possible that the card may no longer be able to sustain those clocks. So, try reducing the graphics card's memory and/or core clocks a little at a time to see if you can get it working properly again, albeit at somewhat reduced performance.
I read from my phone, you might be right, I checked the 1st picture.

pictures are with a hdmi and i tryed a vga cable and was the same

It might be a fixable hardware issue but considering the age and value of the card - not worth it.

Apr 11, 2021
Buddy that tried fixing it here, these are the steps we've tried so far and some extra info in the dumpfile

His monitor shows this green color and than proceeds with a bsod:
Dump File : 041021-7406-01.dmp Crash Time : 10/04/2021 12:22:18 Bug Check String : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Bug Check Code : 0x000000d1 Parameter 1 : 00000000000003c0 Parameter 2 : 0000000000000002 Parameter 3 : 0000000000000000 Parameter 4 : fffff8072e7d70eb Caused By Driver : nvlddmkm.sys Caused By Address : nvlddmkm.sys+3d70eb File Description : Product Name : Company : File Version : Processor : x64 Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+3f5c50 Stack Address 1 : Stack Address 2 : Stack Address 3 : Computer Name : Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\041021-7406-01.dmp Processors Count : 4 Major Version : 15 Minor Version : 19041 Dump File Size : 1,033,748 Dump File Time : 10/04/2021 12:23:17

1) I've let him desinstall the drivers by going to device manager --> display adapters --> expand --> uninstall device --> restart pc --> download drivers with nvidia expierence , this fixed the issue for approx 1h and he also tried unigen heaven benchmark which didn't reproduce the error at first but appaerently it did reproduce it later on ( i don't have his score), at this point he also told me that he had a windows update 2days ago and thats when the problem would have started.

2) Dust out his pc, didn't help

3) Try different cables for the monitor didn't help ( i suppose it can still be a pin issue?)

4) Boot in safe mode (didn't reproduce the error but i don't know if he stressed his card in safe mode)

5) Disconnected the GPU (didn't reproduce the error)

6) Use windows diskcleaner (didn't help)

7) cmd or powershell "chkdsk /f /r" (didn't help)

8) Different monitor (didn't help)

9) Clean install of windows

10) Windows memory check tool (no issues found so i suppose it shouldn't be needed to run memtest 86?)

Next things we are going to try is putting a different GPU and see what gives (He doesn't have one available right now), undercloacking and well besides that i'm running out of things to try out. using ccleaner for cleaning up his registry will probably not change anything since the clean install of windows didn't solve the issue and i assume it's the same for cmd command "sfc /scannow"?

If anyone has more ideas on what else we could try before having to resort to finding a not in stock gpu or build a new pc it would be greatly appreciated!

edit: I saw one post saying: the card supports DirectX 12. Even though it supports DirectX 12, the feature level is only 11_0, which can be problematic with newer DirectX 12 titles , could this be an issue and how would we verify that

It would not get fixed with software manipulations, however you may narrow it down to a single chip that needs to be reflowed or replaced. You need to run a low level memory test using MATS. The gpu memory<->gpu communication happens on the board so dust has nothing to do with it unless it is conductive.
To me it looks like waste of time guys.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021
It would not get fixed with software manipulations, however you may narrow it down to a single chip that needs to be reflowed or replaced. You need to run a low level memory test using MATS. The gpu memory<->gpu communication happens on the board so dust has nothing to do with it unless it is conductive.
To me it looks like waste of time guys.
agreed talking about replacements with my buddys