Anyone owns GTX 460?

hunted22

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hi everyone..

I have a simple question about the nVidia GTX 460.. I just need to know how hiigh temperature go on load, and on what fan speed..

I find temperature readings on different reviews, but there is no indication on what fan speed that you should get these temperatures on.. should it be the default speed (%40 of the full fan speed in my card's case) or the maximum full speed that your fan can achieve?

I'd appreciate it if you can post your result so I can make sense of my own card. for example..

Core speed:
Fan speed percentage:
Temperature on load:

Thank you in advance.

different card will have different temperature due to each manufacturer have their own way of cooling solution to the card. also the ambient temperature of the room also can affect the gpu temperature. for example for someone who lives in hot climate country might have higher temperature even if he/she have good air flow in their case.

well back on topic my GTX460 (see sig) hits 72c-73c under furmark with fan speed around 60%+ (based on my MSI afterburnewr fan profile). personally i never like the idea to run the fan at 100% speed at all times. sure the temperature might be even lower but if you push the fan at it's full capacity all the time it will surely shorten the fan life span.

when gaming my temps never go beyond 64c even for the game that demand the outmost performance from the gpu such as crysis, the witcher 2 and metro 2033. for GTX460 70c+ under full load still considered as fine

hunted22

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Thank you renz496.. I actually intended to mention (but forgot) that I'm aware that different manufacturers have different cooling, but I was just looking for an average to use to figure out other reviews' results, to figure out my own card..

Your card is awesome in cooling.. with a single fan, it runs on 775 but achieve better temperature than many other cards run slower including mine that runs on 715 and has two fans.. ASUS is awesome at cooling GPUs.

i just make sure that my case have decent air flow. in my personal experience adding fan at the bottom of the case (though this depending on the case being use) as a cool air intake did help lower my full load temperature by 2c-3c. its not much but i'm more than happy if i can lower the load temp even by 1c lol. did you happen to have gigabyte with two fan on it?

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Everyones temps are different because of climate, case airflow, ambients, and other factors from inside the pc itself.

Download MSI Afterburner and setup an automatic fan profile for the card. For my cards (not a 460) they idle at 30C and when they gets up to 45C for games like D3/CS:GO/L4D2 the fan speed goes up to around 50% and for games that are taxing like BF3/Alan Wake/Crysis 2/Sniper Elite V2 I have them set to cap my max fan speed to 60% which keeps my cards super quiet and still cool very well.

Of course your temps will be different but the fan speed suggestion still remains :)

If you don't mind the noise, you can crank the fan speed up closer to 80% and will have excellent cooling versus stock fan speed.

nyterage

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Running an eVga 460 SSC+ with the back plate, 85-87f ambient temperatures, 1.15v 900mhz core 2215mhz memory, idle is about 48c under heavy load runs between 78 and 82c, 100% fan speed.

if you go with eVga, defiantly go for the SSC+ model with the back plate, was using a 2nd one in a SLI setup and it was the fpb version of the card in the top slot, temperatures were usually about 4-5c higher than the SSC+.

hope this helps!

dingo07

Distinguished
Both of mine (SLI) run about 8-10C diference. During heavy gaming in Civ5, the highest temp was 89C - that card is the hotter card of the two, my MB sandwiches them together really tight though. I read somewhere that 92C is the magic number you dont want to go over- but don't quote me, because I don't recall 100%

you might want to read through this...
http://www.overclock.net/t/924384/official-geforce-gtx-460-fan-club

nyterage

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010

nvidia's tech specs on the card itself lists the temp limit 104c, but if it even got close to 100 id change something, but thats just me personally.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-460/specifications

hunted22

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Yes, I have the GB.. I actually used your data as a guide line, and after processing my data compared to data from review websites, I think I have decent temperature readings compare to several other 460 cards, my results are actually better than the results of cards just like mine on several review websites.

the only downside is that the gpu fans make a buzzing sounds on higher speeds, and itcome and goes and not consistent so it's hard to tone it out.

hunted22

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Thank you all guys.. reading your comments, I think I have a decent cooler on my card as well.. specially for the price. noise is annoying but WHAT THE HELL.. I'll just get a louder CPU cooler so that GPU noise won't be the problem anymore :)

Regarding temperature, I also read that it shouldn't pass 100c, and from reading different temperature readings, I believe that regardless of your card's manufacturer, if the cooler is not defective, you can OC the card to it's limit, and still have a very good temperature readings.

I was actually going to go with a Radeon GPU, but I'm glad I went with nVidia and it's OCability.

nice OC there! not every GTX460 able to hit 900mhz even with increased core voltage. btw isn't that idle temp is a bit high? AFAIK overclocking the card should have not affect idle temp since the core will drop down to 51mhz when fully idle regardless how high the OC was.

never heard about that magic number but in general most people should be alert when the temperature starts reaching 90c territory. for user with GF110 chip (580, 570, 560 Ti Core 448) they should be worried when the temps hit 90c since the maximum temperature allowed for the cards was 97c as oppose to other cards which is around 105c.

personally i tried to keep the temps well under 80c. the card itself might be fine under such temps but the case ambient surely gets hot with the gpu being 80c

did you use fan profile to control your speed? if that's the case it might explain the random noise since the fan keep changing its speed in accordance to gpu temps. for me i don't like the noise as well so when adjusting my fan curve i've try to adjust for fan noise/gpu temps balance.

nyterage

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010

mine drops down to 405mhz idle, never seen it lower than that. did some bios modding on it to help the overclocking (unlocking the voltage, changing the default voltage and stock clock speeds to my overclock so i didn't have to rely on software) may have set the idle clock higher without realizing i did it.

Thank you all guys.. reading your comments, I think I have a decent cooler on my card as well.. specially for the price. noise is annoying but WHAT THE HELL.. I'll just get a louder CPU cooler so that GPU noise won't be the problem anymore :)

Regarding temperature, I also read that it shouldn't pass 100c, and from reading different temperature readings, I believe that regardless of your card's manufacturer, if the cooler is not defective, you can OC the card to it's limit, and still have a very good temperature readings.

I was actually going to go with a Radeon GPU, but I'm glad I went with nVidia and it's OCability.

loud CPU coolers are always nice but even my Thermtaltake Frio running at max on both fans doesn't drown out the 460, so it may not fix your noise problem completely.

Best of luck to you, these cards are fast and run cool, especially in a SLI setup. here on toms they had over 90% performance boost from adding a 2nd in SLI, benching higher than a 480 with ease, overclocked enough, a pair of them in SLI can get above a 580.

nyterage

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010

i understand how it is, had an MSI NF750A-G55 before my Asus M5A99X EVO and the cards were crammed together SLI in that one, actually had to underclock to keep the top card from overheating. swapped to the EVO and there was space between the two (until i got my sound card that is) and it dropped the temps by 12c on the top card.

hunted22

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009

I actually did not use fan profile.. I did use MSI Afterburn to adjust fan speed, but it was on a single setting at a time.. although it did sound like fans changing speed..
I'm gonna have to watch it a little closer next time, and find out when exactly it buzzes, and on which speed it starts.

Thanks nyterage..
I was actually joking about getting a louder CPU cooler.. in fact, I'm building a water cooling rig for the CPU. I'll probably add a GPU cooling station if I found the GPU noise to be unbearable.. I just need to switch the CPU cooler to water cooling first to be able to single out GPU noise and determine if its too loud to handle, or not worth the hassle..

migdaddy

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
I recently built a system with an EVGA GTX 460 SC 1GB. I benchmarked it at factory and overclocked settings. I am running Windows 8 RP with the 302.82 Nvidia driver. I use Nvidia Inspector to downclock the card to its P12 state when 3D is not required. The ambient temperature in the room averages in the low-80s (26-28C). Here are my results from EVGA Precision X v3.02 w/ the OC Scanner Utility:

For factory settings:
Clocks: 867-1735-2025
Voltage: 1.013v
Load Temp: 76-79C
Fan Speed @ Load: 60%, 3000RPM

For overclock settings:
Clocks: 940-1880-2025
Voltage: 1.075v
Load Temp: 83-85C
Fan Speed @ Load: 65%, 3200RPM

At Idle (P12 State):
Clocks: 51-101-135
Voltage: 0.875v
Idle Temp: 35-39C
Fan Speed @ Idle: 30%, 1400RPM

For Video Playback (P8 State), Fullscreen 1080p on Media Player Classic Home Cinema:
Clocks: 405-810-324
Voltage: 0.912v
GPU Load: 17-18%
VPU Load: 46-47%
GPU Temp: 41-43C
Fan Speed: 30%, 1400RPM

I hope this helps. If you are still unsatisfied with your temperatures and/or fan speed, I would recommend using Precision X to control the fan via software. You can also use Precision X to check if automatic hardware fan control is enabled. For the fan on my card, the hardware default is 30% and the software default is 40%. I prefer using only the hardware control because the benefit of the software is minimal and requires Precision X to run at all times.

hunted22

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Thank you migdaddy for your detailed input.. I'm still adjusting and tweaking, and this does help.
I'm currently using Afterbure, but I'll check out Precision X.. looks like a great tool.

teradeath

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
I have a GTX 460, ambient room temperature varies from 28-35 Degrees... Average Gpu temp is 42 degrees.. On load it reaches Max 70, unclocked, on heavy games such as Skyrim... I did manage to overheat it once by clocking it and running skyrim at Max. Otherwise it doesn't really run that hot, as I said 70 degrees MAX and that's on 1400RPM