Anyone remember these Classic PC Games?

ryder_22

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Pharoahs Tomb, Dark Ages, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Stellar 7, Kings Quest, Manhunter USA, and Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist. Any game 15yrs ago that said Sierra or Dynamic on the box was gold.
These games bring back some good memories on the 286 12mhz w/ 640K ram and 42mb HD.

MisfitSELF

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Heck, I had Stellar 7 on my Apple ][ plus!

In 1989, I purchased my first PC-based computer, a 286/16 (it ran at 8 with "turbo" to 16!!). In my opinion, if it said "Microprose" it was GOLD!

Knyte

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
You included Indiana Jones on that list, and that was another company that could do no wrong, Lucasfilms Ltd. (Before they changed the game company name to Lucasarts).

Loom
Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade
Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis
Loom
Sam And Max
Maniac Mansion I + 2
Full Throttle (The Bunnies!!!)
and All of the Monkey Island games.

The SCUMM engine rocked.

Also, when it came to strategy wargames or RPG's, nobody could touch SSI.

Panzer General
Axis and Allies
Fantasy Empires
The "Gold Box" series of AD&D games.
Phantasie I/II/III
Questron
Wizard's Crown
Eye of the Beholder I/II/III
Buck Rogers
Storm Across Europe
Dungeon Hack
Unlimited Adventures
Fantasy General
Silent Hunter
Steel Panthers I/II
Pacific General

Others game companies I miss before they were ate up and destroyed by EA, Atari, or others:

Epyx
Mindscape
Black Isle
Activision
Origin Systems
Accolade
Sierra / Dynamix
Data East
Broderbund
Ocean
Interplay

I miss the good old days, playing Wing Commander and Red Baron on my 386 DX/40, 8MB of Ram, Original Soundblaster Card, and a 1MB SVGA graphics card. (S3, I think).

And, remember the good old copy protection the games used to have? They either had a "Code Wheel", or the classic: "What is word 3, of Paragraph 2, on Page 48?" (Refering to the game manual.)

stillerfan

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I played the original LLL in the late 80's on my XT. Also played the hell out of the original D&D Pool of Radiance starting in 1989. And don't forget Starflight! :)

lcdguy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Dark Ages - Awesome
Kings Quest - Awesome

What about the first wingcommander :D don't forget

Duke Nukem
Dangerous Dave
Pit Fall
Commander Keen
Monuments of Mars
The Various Learning Company Games

Alex_Huck

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Yep, I remember Space quest, and Kings quest. Though I've only played the space quest series. My favorites were Space Quest 1 (VGA) and Space Quest 4. Good times :)

smittyhotep

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
HA!! spy vs. spy, i almost forgot about that. i remember being in antarcica and climbing into the wrong igloo and dieing alot!! that game was a blast.

aj6065

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Oh man do I remember Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Along with Rebel Assault. You gotta love classic LucasArts.

dizarky

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Hellz yeah, commander keen. what an awesome game. I can't remember which doom it was but there was a level where a crap load of commander keens where hanging from the ceiling and you could shoot the crap out em.

romans11

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
My two favorites aren't on here... spend hours playing the original Test Drive and F-19 Stealth Fighter on my IBM PC-jr. Funny how almost 25 years later I still drive too fast and think that covertly bombing terroist camp sites sound like a good idea.

samgwise

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
yeh the old lucas arts games where good if I remember corectly it was about the time they released episode one that the games really went down hill.
me being bit younger I only remember a few of these titles and thats mainly because I found them when I was bored but I remember the first fps I played
it was this random total conversion for doom that they handed out in sierial packets, it was called chex quest, even to this day I still find it entertaining for some reason. perhaps its because I spend half the time laughing and remanising at how bad I was at it in the days 7-8 yrs old lol.
also I know its more modern but star wars rogue squadron is one game that I've allways found fun and have spent countless hours playing, well atleast untill xp came along and the joystick died(sniff).
it is interesting though how most of those old games are really fun and seem to be better than alot of new titles. In perticular rts games, I don't know about you but I've found that 2d rts titles are still my favorites.
anyway enough rambeling from me....

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Pharoahs Tomb, Dark Ages, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Stellar 7, Kings Quest, Manhunter USA, and Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist. Any game 15yrs ago that said Sierra or Dynamic on the box was gold.
These games bring back some good memories on the 286 12mhz w/ 640K ram and 42mb HD.
Although they are a little further into the future, you forgot:

Marathon 1-3, Doom I and II.

Skibumtx

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Jeesh,

I remember playing castle wolfenstien from the 5.25" floppy drive on the Apple 2E I built.

Wow - Commander Keen, great game

Ski

kamiri

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I know this is a stretch, but anyone remember a Sierra game called Thexder? I loved it but always got to this one point that I had no clue how to get past. I wish I had a copy that I could play today (

pauljuno

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Are you kidding me.... you kids, I outta beat you with my cain :)

How 'bout the classics like Zork and the others from Adventure International! Trying to think what my first game was, but it was something like that on my TRS-80. Now that's classic gaming, although it could be debated whether or not it's PC as PC really started with the IBM 5150 I believe.

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
As a pharmacist I HAD to have Freddy Pharkas. I emailed Josh (something), one of guys in charge of the game and he quoted me in a game magazine and sent me a t-shirt (which I have since worn out).

I read there is a KQ remake in the works with 3d imaging, ect.

How about Ultima 6, 7, and 7.5? U-6 was my very first PC game.