Jackshutty

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2015
Has anyone using any ryzen cpus? I just want your opinion before I upgrade,
What I want to no aswell
Is the socket good for gaming?
Is it good value for money?
Are the motherboards any good?
Iv been ill for a lot of weeks and I honestly have no energy to do my own research on it so I thought it would be easier to ask the community thanks much appreciated.

Solution
Guys today news presented 3dmark with vulcan support. Can you run some tests with it and see what happens? I think Vulcan in an amd thing?

star citizen will run only in vulcan. I am sure games with the new ryzen cpus, will run much smoother than a 7700k, 10-15fps more doesnt mean better gaming. All the videos I ve seen in youtube only the first core is heavy loaded, the other cores are like 5-15% in use. In addition intel cores split the heavy duty, so I believe its early to compare them. I want to buy 1 ryzen for multibox gaming and some streaming.

I only wait for some more motherboards to show up because in my country we luck in mobos! Only 2 models with x370. Also I wonder if 1700 is a better option than a 1700x? Because of power...

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

Ive not experienced any problems with gaming, getting 60-70fps in every game ive tried on it, battlefield 1, Hitman, Just Cause 3, and Far Cry primal, 1920x1080 60Hz, games are smooth as silk, way smoother than my Intel 4770k @ 4.4ghz on a £400 Gigabyte Z97 motherboard.

I'm running a RyZen 1700 on a Gigabyte AB350m motherboard @ 3.9ghz, no pint going for the more expensive 1800X as the 1700 quite easily reaches near enough 1800x speeds for $180 less, obviously its new technology, from the ground up, so there are some teething problems, like trying to get RAM running at full speed, I have G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mhz CL16 currently running at 2133mhz SPD, however my ram isn't on the QVL, it is recommended for now that you use ram on the QVL for the board you are going to purchase, this is the only issue ive experienced.

Fixes are on the way for this, Gigabyte recently had a beta bios to fix it, which was kind of working, managed to get my ram at full speed, well 2933mhz, which is close enough, but other problems I reported and they pulled it off there site for now, RyZen benefit from higher memory speeds so once these issue are sorted, you can expect to see performance and fps, rise even more, another benefit is all ram regardless of speed runs at a command rate of 1T, not 2T, strong memory controllers.

Might be worth waiting for R5 1600X although ive not really looked into them, there does seem to be a lot of talk and excitement going on about the 6 core 12 thread parts, and the most expensive one is around $260, so excellent value for money, i'll probably pick one up just to have a play about with, due in shops on the 11 April.

If you have time, this makes a very interesting read https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/03/amd-ryzen-gaming-performance-analysis/

I have purchased 2 Ryzen 7 1700 CPUs with RAM and motherboards recently for builds. One for me and one for a friend.

Gaming: It is slightly slower than i7 7700k in most games. But bear in mind it is NEW and devs have not had any time to optimize for Ryzen yet. So anticipate it getting a little better as the platform and software support matures. The difference is small.

Value: If you are JUST gaming, and I literally mean doing NOTHING but gaming, the 7700k is a better performer by about 5-15 FPS for the same price as the R7 1700. * BUT * If you do any productivity, streaming, video capture/editing/encoding for twitch or you tube, something like the R7 1700 will be a much better value. Think of Ryzen as a next gen workstation CPU that is also 'very good', but not 'the best', at gaming. In threaded workloads, the difference is a BIG one, with Ryzen 1700 easily giving 1.5-2x the performance of a 7700k in many productivity apps.

AM4 Motherboards are excellent, easily on par with the best Intel boards. But BIOS are a little quirky, with a few having memory support/speed issues. I am most familiar with ASUS and Gigabyte boards, but there are others like the ASROCK Taichi and MSI boards. I purchased the Crosshair VI Hero AM4 because it is also AM3 cooler compatable, which I need for my custom loop water block. But the ASUS X370 Pro is also a great board for the $150 range. I'm using it for a friend's build right now. I got these x370 boards for the potent VRMs and cooling to support overclocking and longevity/stability. But you could go with a B350 board and still overclock and be fine.

You didn't specifically ask, but I also researched is a good cooler recently. For $45 the Thermalright True Spirit DIRECT is an excellent choice. It performs on par with the Noctua NH-D14 or NH-D14 for 1/2 the price. AND it is MUCH smaller, so easier to fit in a case.

Hope that helps.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

Some motherboards come with the AM3+ mounting holes, others don't, however, I'm sure I read somewhere that you can get a replacement bracket and backplate, EK sent me one for free for my supremacy water block, I just had to pay postage.

EDIT: here's the bracket you'll need http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/am4-amd-retention-bracket-kit-for-hydro-series-coolers pretty sure they'll have the back plate too, or just use the stock back plate that comes with the board if the threads are the same.

EDIT2: depends which version of the H100i you have, one of them fits out of the box http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/landing/ryzen
and for a limited time, if you need the replacement bracket, you can get it for free at the same link.

I have a 4770K and my game play is very smooth. I think maybe it could have been that your oc was a bit unstable if you had problems with games running smoothly. A lot of times the Core i7 4770K will not do well with overclocks and may seem stable on benchmarks and tests for hours but when it comes to doing regular stuff it fails. It won't always bluescreen either if an oc is borderline stable or it may restart on its own for seemingly no reason every now and then. I had these problems at 4.3GHz and at 4.0GHz everything is fine. Problems even presented at 4.1GHz although it seemed stable after hours of stress testing it apparently wasn't really stable.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

Never had any other problems with it, no crashes or random restarts, just a bit choppy in some games, I was running with an 8gb RX480 graphics card and I always use the best G.skill RAM I can afford and get my hands on at the time, in this case it was G.Skill Trident X DDR3 2400mhz, watch this video, this is what I'm talking about, fast forward to 7.53 and watch from there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rUndzpdo1I

orifiel

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Guys today news presented 3dmark with vulcan support. Can you run some tests with it and see what happens? I think Vulcan in an amd thing?

star citizen will run only in vulcan. I am sure games with the new ryzen cpus, will run much smoother than a 7700k, 10-15fps more doesnt mean better gaming. All the videos I ve seen in youtube only the first core is heavy loaded, the other cores are like 5-15% in use. In addition intel cores split the heavy duty, so I believe its early to compare them. I want to buy 1 ryzen for multibox gaming and some streaming.

I only wait for some more motherboards to show up because in my country we luck in mobos! Only 2 models with x370. Also I wonder if 1700 is a better option than a 1700x? Because of power consumption. If we overclock 1700 cpu it consumes more power? It may be 100 euros less than 1700x but it eats more power if you overclock it at the speeds of 1700x or 1800x. So I look forwrd for a 1700x cpu instead of a 1700, its like I pay the electricity upfront in the long term :)

Solution