[SOLVED] "Anything above 3k MHz doesn't scale"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wicket Fot

Commendable
Jun 14, 2021
I watched JayzTwoCents' video on how not to overspend. If I understood it correctly, it states that a gamer doesn't need RAM speed over 3000 MHz and that higher speeds are for overclocking. Now, I'm planning out a build which will not be used for gaming. I was thinking about i5-11600K without overclocking and 3200 MHz RAM. Am I really not going to benefit from using such RAM rather than slower one?

Solution
Probably not. I don't normally agree with him, but in this case I do. Anything in the 3000-3200MHz range for ram is the "sweet spot". Generally, faster ram isn't going to provide real world results. 3000MHz ram is 75% of the speed of 4000MHz, but you don't get 25% increase in frame rates by moving to 4000MHz. You'll get some increase sure. But not anything that's going to make a huge difference.

I'd like to point out that due to covid and shipping issues you should check around. Prices are crazy so it's possible that you might find 3600MHz at a deal compared to 3000 or 3200MHz. But I wouldn't search out 3600 or4000GHz ram thinking that it's going help you hit faster frame rates. As mentioned above it will help with OCing...

4745454b

Titan
When i built my machine 2yrs ago, i did no testing. I didn't run prime, didn't run 3d mark, didn't run memtest, etc. I installed Firefox, steam, and my games. I had to replace my wifi module a few weeks ago, but otherwise the machine has been a champ since day one. The only thing i had to do was go into the bios and enable xmp.

I suggest doing the same. You really only need to test if something is wrong.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Testing your memory configuration to verify stability

Is this step necessary if I'm only using XMP, without increasing the voltage manually?
In other words, no micro errors with XMP?
When i built my machine 2yrs ago, i did no testing. I didn't run prime, didn't run 3d mark, didn't run memtest, etc. I installed Firefox, steam, and my games. I had to replace my wifi module a few weeks ago, but otherwise the machine has been a champ since day one. The only thing i had to do was go into the bios and enable xmp.

I suggest doing the same. You really only need to test if something is wrong.
I would do a full cycle of memtest. Out of the five times I've upgraded memory on my systems, I've got a bad module exactly once.

That one froze in memtest, and was exchanged the same day it was bought.

Admittedly that was a no-brand DDR2 module for cheap years ago now.

TRENDING THREADS