[SOLVED] anything below 144 fps feels laggy

Jan 20, 2021
Hello.I am playng on 144 fps bbut when it drops to like 120-130 it feels like 60 fps can you help me ? (btw im talking about forntite)
my specs are
ryzen 5 1600
rx 570
16 dd4 ram
my monitor is this-https://www.ozone.bg/product/monitor-philips-242e1gaj-00/
I am using display port and tried vsync ,but nothing works
if you can help me out please do so!

Solution
Think monitor supports Freesync, is it enabled both in Adrenaline and monitor? If it is enabled, does fluency improve with Freesync disabled?

With Vsync, try Fortnite's own Vsync but Vsync in Amd software needs to be set to application control otherwise it'll be overwritten by Amd's version. Amd/Nvidia's sync characteristics can differ from the game's own sync techniques so try both separately.

Also try disable full screen optimisation under compatibility tab for Fortnite's exe. It's a blend between borderless and full screen, easier for alt tabbing etc but a Win10 feature Freesync/Gsync and many games don't like.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Think monitor supports Freesync, is it enabled both in Adrenaline and monitor? If it is enabled, does fluency improve with Freesync disabled?

With Vsync, try Fortnite's own Vsync but Vsync in Amd software needs to be set to application control otherwise it'll be overwritten by Amd's version. Amd/Nvidia's sync characteristics can differ from the game's own sync techniques so try both separately.

Also try disable full screen optimisation under compatibility tab for Fortnite's exe. It's a blend between borderless and full screen, easier for alt tabbing etc but a Win10 feature Freesync/Gsync and many games don't like.

Solution
Jan 20, 2021

i cant turn it on from the monitor i can only from the adrenaline ive tried it but i can see only a small small difference

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Had a look in the manual and to my surprise there is no Freesync option im used to seeing in other models so it must be automatic. There are other features of interest though to improve image and latency.

Really, anything over 100fps should feel good. Dipping below 85 to 60 will feel sluggish in comparison even with Freesync, it's just too big a difference in frame rate response. 130fps shouldn't feel like 60fps unless there's micro stuttering involved in which case Freesync + Vsync (game or Amd's version) should address.

Try that or any other Vsync option in Amd software in tandem with Freesync.

Jan 20, 2021
Had a look in the manual and to my surprise there is no Freesync option im used to seeing in other models so it must be automatic. There are other features of interest though to improve image and latency.

Really, anything over 100fps should feel good. Dipping below 85 to 60 will feel sluggish in comparison even with Freesync, it's just too big a difference in frame rate response. 130fps shouldn't feel like 60fps unless there's micro stuttering involved in which case Freesync + Vsync (game or Amd's version) should address.

Try that or any other Vsync option in Amd software in tandem with Freesync.
so you are telling me to turn freesync on and + that to turn it in the game? Thanls alot btw

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You're welcome. Yea try Freesync + game's Vsync, then see how it is. Then compare with Freesync + Amd's Vsync variant settings. Fortnite's Vsync will only work when the setting in Amd is set to allow software to take control otherwise Amd will override with it's own.

Is fullscreen optimisation disabled for Fortnite?

Edit. 144Hz is set in Windows monitor adapter isn't it? Check here instead of in Adrenaline. Both settings should correspond each other but prefer setting refresh rate in Windows rather than graphics card software, sometimes latter causes problems.

Last edited: