[SOLVED] Anything better than a RX 560 for a i5-760?

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
That's what my friend has now; rx-560 and the 1st gen quad core cpu. I'm wondering if the CPU could handle anything faster than the 560? The PSU size won't be an issue. No competitive gaming, mostly puzzle adventure games. But ones that use modern game engines for great graphics. FHD monitor.

Solution
That's what my friend has now; rx-560 and the 1st gen quad core cpu. I'm wondering if the CPU could handle anything faster than the 560? The PSU size won't be an issue. No competitive gaming, mostly puzzle adventure games. But ones that use modern game engines for great graphics. FHD monitor.
The I5 760 is quite an old CPU therefore it won't be able to push many good Cards but the best one I can think of with the minimal bottleneck is the RX470. The 570 should also be fine for puzzle adventure games, but give me an example, games like Tomb Raider etc? The I5 could push a 570 but It could be bottlenecked hard in CPU intensive games. Consider stating your budget.
The I5 760 is quite an old CPU therefore it won't be able to push many good Cards but the best one I can think of with the minimal bottleneck is the RX470. The 570 should also be fine for puzzle adventure games, but give me an example, games like Tomb Raider etc? The I5 could push a 570 but It could be bottlenecked hard in CPU intensive games. Consider stating your budget.

Solution
It would handle it poorly. In fact, the RX 560 is probably somewhat pushing the envelope with that first Gen i5 as it is.

Since you are not in need of high FPS you could certainly TRY any of the current graphics cards, since the RX 560 works, but without 60+ FPS being a factor there really isn't any reason why you can't just set the settings higher with the card he already has because you aren't going to have any significant issues with blur, ghosting, tearing or other common issues playing puzzle adventure games that are not fast paced and tend toward rapid movement.

Tomb raider is not a "puzzle game".

Obduction, Myst, Portal 2, these are "puzzle games".

Tomb raider is not a "puzzle game".

Obduction, Myst, Portal 2, these are "puzzle games".
Tomb Raider came into my head as a puzzle game I don't know why, I think its because its 'adventure'. I don't know how I forgot about Portal 2. Depends on what a person thinks is a puzzle game because I find games like Hitman 2 as a puzzle game. Thanks for clarifying because I completely forgot about Portal 2.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Thanks for the info. 60fps isn't important as long as the gameplay is smooth. There's usually not a lot of action in these types of games.

Games like Obduction, Aporia, Haven Moon, The Talos Principle, and the soon to be released Firmament all require decent cards for using the highest graphic settings.
The i5-760 doesn't seem to be a problem right now. Lowish cpu usage. But the RX 560 seems to struggle at ultra settings.

Budget isn't a big issue. I doubt any card that wont see a major bottle neck from the i5-760 is going to be over budget. The RX 570 sounds good...

So, in that case, I'd say that going with whatever card you can afford that is tiered higher than the current card, so RX 570 or 580, or GTX 1660 (Or super, or TI, if so inclined) would all likely handle any game at Ultra 1080p without struggling too much. Especially on those types of games.

Since the CPU is not really the issue as you say, then all you can do is try it out. Be aware though that once you have a GPU that CAN handle things at a given quality setting, it WILL increase the demand on the CPU and possibly to the point where it then becomes the bigger problem but as long as you're able to get the desired quality setting and eye candy, that might not matter. Besides which, if you already have a card that can handle your desired settings, you can always upgrade the platform later if you need or wish to without having bought the graphics card being any kind of impediment.

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Be aware though that once you have a GPU that CAN handle things at a given quality setting, it WILL increase the demand on the CPU and possibly to the point where it then becomes the bigger problem...
I hadn't thought about that. Stronger GPU means more CPU usage, right? I don't want that. We'll be back to stutter again, but this time due to the CPU.

You can likely mitigate some of that with a v-sync cap or playing around with a combination of settings, depending on whether you have a sync capable monitor or not that might be an additional method to ensure you avoid problems.

Overall, I only mentioned it as an observation of what MIGHT happen, not to suggest that upgrading is a bad idea because of it. Setting the graphics quality to the highest settings, IF the card can handle the highest settings for the target resolution, generally helps somewhat to limit the load on the CPU and mask some weakness there when you're not looking for high FPS results.