Question Anytime I open a game, the first loading screen causes my desktop to completely shut off. No warning beeps, just boom, no power ?

Mar 8, 2023
A bit of history. I've had this computer since 2017, and it has never had any issues with the affected games until a little under a year ago. For a few months at that point, I was just getting random, very rare shutdowns in the middle of games, but now, anytime I load up any game, the first loading screen causes my PC to instantly shut off with no warning beeps, no freezing, just boom, no power. No actual boom sound though lol. Just poof, no power. I've also been getting a tiny bit of lag doing general activities, but it hasn't shutdown on me doing anything else, just games. I changed the thermal paste on the processor and added my machine's first SSD to see if that would help, but to no avail. I'm thinking it's probably the PSU, but I wanted a professional/informed opinion. It's the PSU that came with the prebuilt, albeit slightly customized Dell Inspiron 5675 available at the time. It could also be the processor, or the GPU. I don't know which part to look at replacing. I've updated all my drivers, firmware for connected devices, tried unplugging the second monitor when I boot the games, no change.

I lowered the power to the processor to 60% max and 5% minimum too, to see if that would change it. It seemed to have no effect. Still consistently shutting off on that first load in the game. I've gotten the main game to work once, a couple days ago. I started it on power saving mode, with power saving settings in Windows 10, and for some reason it worked that time, but not today. When it worked, I played the game with intensive GPU load (Warframe) with no issues. I've attempted only having the launcher and the game open, no other programs, still no change. If anyone has any insight on what part might be failing me, please let me know so I can know what to start saving for lol. It looks like PSU's run pretty cheap compared to the other components, so I'm hoping it's that. I used Newegg's calculator and found a decent gold 650W I've got my eyes on if that's what I need.

Specs:
Windows 10 22h2
AMD AM4 07PR60 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 1400 processor
AMD Radeon RX 580 GPU
16gb DDR4
WD Blue 1TB HDD

New Hardware added after issue arose:
Crucial 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of your current PSU.
https://dl.dell.com/content/manual1...and-specifications.pdf?language=en-us&ps=true
You have the stock 460W unit in the build?

+
Dell Inspiron 5675
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

I used Newegg's calculator and found a decent gold 650W I've got my eyes on if that's what I need.
What would that unit be?

Mar 8, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of your current PSU.
https://dl.dell.com/content/manual1...and-specifications.pdf?language=en-us&ps=true
You have the stock 460W unit in the build?

+
Dell Inspiron 5675
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

I used Newegg's calculator and found a decent gold 650W I've got my eyes on if that's what I need.
What would that unit be?
BIOS version is the latest, Insyde H20 1.5.0, recently installed from the Dell website.

And yes, it's the stock PSU afaik, and has no built in fan that I saw, but it might be hidden from view. Shiny steel box, uninteresting looking.

The 650W PSU

Thanks for the quick response! Let me know if you need any more info.