Question Anyway to test a power supply without damaging my PC?

saoon3232

Prominent
Jun 3, 2018
So here’s the story. I put in my new Gigabyte G750H 80plus gold power supply into my old system. I plugged in my cable, flipped the switch, and saw the RGB stuff in my case turn on. Good start so far. I turn on my PC, and I immediately get a loud click sound and a burning smell. I immediately went to turn it off and unplug it. Before I turned it off, I did see my monitor had turned on, but that’s about it. My rgb strips didn’t not turn on like they normally do. I’m scared to try and turn it on again and see if it works. Is there anything I can do to test for a faulty psu that won’t put my PC in danger?

saoon3232

Prominent
Jun 3, 2018
Take the PSU out of the computer and disconnect it completely.

Turn PSU switch off and plug into wall
Perform the paperclip test and turn the psu on.
Then see if the psu fan turns on.

With things like semi passive fan modes and partially failed psus this test isnt foolproof tho.

https://m.wikihow.com/Check-a-Power-Supply
I’ve determined that it was a faulty psu. I’ve reinstalled my old psu and everything is working and nothing is damaged. Thank you so much for the help! My heart attack of the night has been resolved because of you!

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

saoon3232

Prominent
Jun 3, 2018
Now you get to go through the fun process of sending the gigabyte psu in under warranty.
I’ve already given up on that. Honestly might just deal with the loss of money and move on. This RMA process is absolutely the worst thing I’ve ever experienced. At least I’ve learned to never order stuff from Gigabyte. Good to know for the future!

I’ve already given up on that. Honestly might just deal with the loss of money and move on. This RMA process is absolutely the worst thing I’ve ever experienced. At least I’ve learned to never order stuff from Gigabyte. Good to know for the future!

I was going to ask: Why did you go with an unknown PSU brand (Gigabyte being a known, of course, but they have zero reputation for PSUs and there are no reviews out there) from an unknown OEM (not like MEIC is known for making desktop PSUs) in the first place?

Hind sight is 20/20.

saoon3232

Prominent
Jun 3, 2018
I was going to ask: Why did you go with an unknown PSU brand (Gigabyte being a known, of course, but they have zero reputation for PSUs and there are no reviews out there) from an unknown OEM (not like MEIC is known for making desktop PSUs) in the first place?

Hind sight is 20/20.
Honestly I thought “It couldn’t be that bad. Gigabyte is fairly well known.” It was that bad... I mean from the surface it looked fine but I guess that’s what I get for not doing a little more research.