[SOLVED] Anyway to use the e-sata thats on my haf-x case with the Rampage V Edition 10 mobo?

ksk11214

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
I dont see any connector on the mobo for e-sata. Is there anything I can do to make the e-sata port usable?

Solution
I believe it is in Windows under device manager. A checkbox for listing it as a removeable device.

You'll probably have to do that with each device you plug in, but only the one time for each.

It can also be set in the BIOS, which is how I solved it on my old X58 system. I think. Been a while since eSATA was useful to me. I had an external dock, but it had to be plugged in and on for Windows to load it on boot. Was easier to use it as a USB dock.

I haven't used an internal hotswap bay since my i7-4770k, and even then I only used it for backups.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Umm, should just plug into any SATA port...

I don't recall anything special about the last time I hooked up an eSATA or drive bay in a computer.

Only special thing you have to do is tell the system it is a removable drive so you can power it down before unplugging.

ksk11214

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
Umm, should just plug into any SATA port...

I don't recall anything special about the last time I hooked up an eSATA or drive bay in a computer.

Only special thing you have to do is tell the system it is a removable drive so you can power it down before unplugging.

How exactly do I tell the system that?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I believe it is in Windows under device manager. A checkbox for listing it as a removeable device.

You'll probably have to do that with each device you plug in, but only the one time for each.

It can also be set in the BIOS, which is how I solved it on my old X58 system. I think. Been a while since eSATA was useful to me. I had an external dock, but it had to be plugged in and on for Windows to load it on boot. Was easier to use it as a USB dock.

I haven't used an internal hotswap bay since my i7-4770k, and even then I only used it for backups.

Solution

ksk11214

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015

Is there anyway to check if my port is working correctly? I bought a mediasonic probox. When I have it connected via USB its fine. When I have it connected via E-sata it turns on for a few seconds and then turns off. Im not sure if my system is the issue or the box. My mobo is Rampgae v edition 10

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I suggest having it powered on, plugged in before system start to see if it does any better. Unless you have another SATA device, not sure what to tell you.

You might have to use USB and eSATA at the same time to provide power to the device if it doesn't have an external power supply.