AOC E1659FWU And GeChic On-Lap 1502I: Portable Monitors, To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-unit1111

Titan
Interesting, I'm interested in getting one of the USB displays but the resolution is keeping me from purchasing one. I'd like to see how the AOC monitor compares to the ones being offered from Asus, HP, Dell, and so on and so forth.

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
So....I am looking for a few years for a small (15" would be limit) portable VGA+HDMI monitor (as in not a bulky stand). I don't need FullHD resolution, but it should accept it.

In a related note, I have been thinking about a laptop-styled monitor+keyboard (and maybe mouse/touchpad) but to be plugged into a desktop PC. You know...when you receive a PC case (or go to someone) and have to debug it. But again, 15" is already big (I'm using a 12.5" thinkpad when not at my gaming/workstation PC).

ceberle

Contributing Editor
Editor
Dec 20, 2012
You can connect the On-Lap to a phone or tablet via its HDMI/MHL port. The AOC will only work via USB.

-Christian-

CrisCrossed

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Two words:
Able HD
http://www.able-hd.com
One of the most funded projects on kickstarter. These guys make portable monitors that are HD and really cheap. Unfortunately, they still have their flaws (the circuit board is exposed and not attached to the screen) but you cannot beat the price/performance.

g-unit1111

Titan

I have to say after reading about these that I do want one. When my laptop's primary display is 1920 x 1080, why would I want to add a second monitor that's 1366 x 720?

CrisCrossed

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
I have to say after reading about these that I do want one. When my laptop's primary display is 1920 x 1080, why would I want to add a second monitor that's 1366 x 720?
I'm sorry, I mistyped. The monitor is actually a FHD (1080p) display, and it comes in 15.6 and 17 inch screens. I hope this helps. I'm ordering mine soon to use with a LAN box.

CrisCrossed

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
I'm sorry, I mistyped. The monitor is actually a FHD (1080p) display, and it comes in 15.6 and 17 inch screens. I hope this helps. I'm ordering mine soon to use with a LAN box.

gondor

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Too expensive (that damn thing costs more than a Nexus 5 with better specs ?!), too weak hardware (why go for Snapdragon 600 when 800 can easily fit into desktop form factor, given that it works just fine in mobile phones ?).

Hopefully this thing has (micro)SD card support and unlocked bootloader. Wired networking support woudl be a big plus too.

If folks at Acer come to their senses regarding the pricing and the SoC.and sort out the feature set they might just be able to start the new PC revolution IT analysts have been predicting for 2015(-ish), one without x86 and Microsoft's Windows. With Ubuntu working on their mobile touch-enabled OS I can see them clinching a piece of the pie too.

waynesjw

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
So....I am looking for a few years for a small (15" would be limit) portable VGA+HDMI monitor (as in not a bulky stand). I don't need FullHD resolution, but it should accept it.In a related note, I have been thinking about a laptop-styled monitor+keyboard (and maybe mouse/touchpad) but to be plugged into a desktop PC. You know...when you receive a PC case (or go to someone) and have to debug it. But again, 15" is already big (I'm using a 12.5" thinkpad when not at my gaming/workstation PC).
Check out Gechic's other products on Amazon and www.Icitouchtech.com

Viviian

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
found this amazon link helpfulhttp://www.amazon.com/Projected-Capacitive-Touchscreen-Compatible-thickness/dp/B00DS18ZTG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395338266&sr=8-2&keywords=gechic

Status
Not open for further replies.