AOC Q2963PM Monitor Review: 2560x1080 Is A New Way To Play

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan

1080p is "over-priced"?

You can buy some 1080p's for as little as $100 and that is part of the reason higher-resolution screens are so much more expensive: rock-bottom prices on 1080p makes justifying paying well over twice as much for slightly higher resolution very hard to justify for most people. This effectively turned anything above 1080p into a niche market and lead to the general lack of any down-pricing pressure on anything higher.

A few years ago, while 1080p screen prices were still around the $200-250 range, you could find decent 24" 1200p screens for $250-350. These days, most 1200p screens are over $350 and most of them restrict input choices to VGA and DVI... so the average 1200p screen today is more expensive and less functional than those from 3-5 years ago.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Nice review as always but I don't see the need for people to get this over a similarly priced 27" QHD monitor. Personally, my next upgrade will be a 4K monitor that can pump out 60-120 Hz for a reasonable price.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
"This is definitely a step in the right direction with regards to gaming monitor advancements. The only thing I see missing is 120Hz (or highher) pixel clock speeds and NVidia 3D Vision support. Several S-IPS monitors are out today that support 120Hz @ 2560 x 1440 resolution. So why doesn't this 'new and revolutionary' product have this feature? No thanks. I'll wait a bit longer for AOC or Asus or whomever to release an improved version of this monitor that offers the higher pixel clock rates as well as NVidia 3D Vision capability."

Really? First, S-IPS is the OLD standard for IPS with LG having moved to H-IPS years ago (S-IPS is no longer in large scale production) and now other designators (UH-IPS, etc). Also, there are ZERO native 120Hz 2560x1440 IPS panels on the market with the Overlord Tempest being the only H-IPS 2560x1440 panel on the planet that can be overclocked (and has a decent warranty) up to 120Hz. Even the Tempest is a stocker 60Hz out of the box that one must use Nvidia's/AMD's CP to overclock (or use a patcher) to reach the higher rates.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
"This is definitely a step in the right direction with regards to gaming monitor advancements. The only thing I see missing is 120Hz (or highher) pixel clock speeds and NVidia 3D Vision support. Several S-IPS monitors are out today that support 120Hz @ 2560 x 1440 resolution. So why doesn't this 'new and revolutionary' product have this feature? No thanks. I'll wait a bit longer for AOC or Asus or whomever to release an improved version of this monitor that offers the higher pixel clock rates as well as NVidia 3D Vision capability."

Really? First, S-IPS is the OLD standard for IPS with LG having moved to H-IPS years ago (S-IPS is no longer in large scale production) and now other designators (UH-IPS, etc). Also, there are ZERO native 120Hz 2560x1440 IPS panels on the market with the Overlord Tempest being the only H-IPS 2560x1440 panel on the planet that can be overclocked (and has a decent warranty) up to 120Hz. Even the Tempest is a stocker 60Hz out of the box that one must use Nvidia's/AMD's CP to overclock (or use a patcher) to reach the higher rates.

There are still 27" LED and LCD 1080p screens (with great contrast and color mind you) selling in the $300-400 range. These are the monitors I'm talking about; not the 24" 1080p monitor with terrible contrast and color for $100.

The price has to drop on the larger-sized monitors. They are over-priced for what you get.

Travellerr25

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
Hey I was wondering if you could give me the most accurate color settings for user settings for this monitor? because I do not know what to set I know the green seems to have to be less than the blue and red because if not it has a tint too it. Please any assistance with this would be appreciated since I cannot seem to find the right colors through google search with this monitors name.

ceberle

Contributing Editor
Editor
Dec 20, 2012

All the settings you need are on page 4 of the article.

- Christian -

Travellerr25

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013

Wow, lol, I do not know how I missed that because Iooked through the review many times at different dates and never noticed that it was listed right there in plain sight. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me none the less, because I appreciated it, just got done setting the ocd to those recommended numbers and it looks more accurate to me than the others I have tried, have been keeping it on srgb since I wasn't sure of the user settings being accurate. Thanks and it looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.