AOC Reveals Portable USB-Based 16-inch Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavroxur

Distinguished
So the monitor consumes 8 watts... but the USB spec is 5 volts at 500mA. Basic math tells me that 8 watts is greater than 2.5 watts. Does this USB monitor have a cable that splits into 4 USB's at the computer's end to get enough power to drive it?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Umm... DO want if you can make it 12'' and have a VGA connection - would be perfect for testing PCs. Even so, I'm surprised with the price tag - usually that kind of "innovation" would cost an outrageous price.

lp231

Splendid

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Indeed. But I want such a "test monitor" to be as small as possible, not 18'' and not 16'' either... 12 or less, and VGA, as you said :) I doubt that a USB screen will work on BIOS level in all PCs.

maako

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
What about the graphic output, is it taken from the graphic card, APU or what?

Also as #1 mentioned, with the USB 5v the Ampere should be 1,6A.

G

Might save your butt if your laptop screen dies and you need a monitor quickly and sell it after on ebay. I just skip the hassle and buy a real monitor.

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Yeah, I'm kinda stumped on the 8 watt thing too. I have a USB 2.5" HD that drains a max of 2.6w (it's a black edition drive) and that requires two USB ports on 90% computers. so in order to run this you would have to sacrifice 3 USB ports, or plug it into a USB-power port (on a power adapter). Nothing with a max power draw of 8 watts should be able to run on a single USB connection as advertised. The article even clearly states it will use only a single USB port, so how is it drawing over USB rated 2.5w max?

lp231

Splendid
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Indeed. But I want such a "test monitor" to be as small as possible, not 18'' and not 16'' either... 12 or less, and VGA, as you said I doubt that a USB screen will work on BIOS level in all PCs.[/citation]
It seems newegg has a 8.9" and it's still USB!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824185014
Found this site that sells small LCD monitors with VGA and a USB card that actually produces 12v as well as 24v
http://www.esaw.co.uk/products.php
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158102
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158168

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]The only benefit I see with this monitor are Notebook users who likes to add more than one display and technicians that repairs computers from door to door, but for them it's better to grab a monitor with actual connectors and cost a lot less.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6824009262Also AOC isn't the first to have a USB monitor, Samsung had one a long time ago.http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/m [...] 940ux.html[/citation]

actually, i could see a use for a small usb monitor.

i could have task manager open all the time without taking screen real estate.

or i could use it as a play list so i dont have to take up space on my monitor when i have video full screend.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
The specs indicate it's basically a portable 15.6" laptop/notebook screen.

I don't understand how it can get enough power from a single USB connection, either. However, the idea of using one (or two) in conjunction with a notebook to create an extended desktop seems pretty cool.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jamie_1318[/nom]Yeah, I'm kinda stumped on the 8 watt thing too. [/citation]
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]So the monitor consumes 8 watts... but the USB spec is 5 volts at 500mA.[/citation]

The article mentions a maximum of 8 watts. USB power is measured in "Unit loads" (100ma in 2.0, 150ma in 3.0) up to a maximum of 5 loads in 2.0 (6 in 3.0). Reaching a total power of 500ma in USB 2.0 or 900ma in USB 3.0 as a standard. Provisions have been made for high-current devices, where the USB 2.0 port can provide 1500ma in a charging situation while still acting as a data port, or 1800ma in a power-only mode (where voltage is allowed to go up to 5.25v). Note that both devices have to be high-power certified to raise current levels that high.

So the total maximum power you could expect from a modern USB 2.0 port, would be:

5.0v x 500ma = 2500mw original specification.

5.0v x 1500ma = 7500mw Modern, while still transferring data.

5.25v x 1800 = 9450mw Modern, high current charging only (no data).

Either way, that puts the monitor right at the dangerous threshold of current draw, and you can bet that it wouldn't work in older USB ports that only deliver 500ma.

mavroxur

Distinguished

Which is great, if all computers / laptops / USB devices on the planet were certified as USB high power devices. A host or hub Charging Downstream Port can supply a maximum of 1.5 A when communicating at low-bandwidth or full-bandwidth, a maximum of 900 mA when communicating at high-bandwidth, and as much current as the connector will safely handle when no communication is taking place. However, not all USB hosts are capable of supplying more than the standard initially required.

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Second that it is a little weird. I have got to wonder how many Computers actually deliver that amount though, most of them won't connect to higher load devices properly (my Hard drive in this case). Windows still displays the max power draw on most USB ports at 500ma. (you can check by right clicking on the USB hubs in device manger).

I kinda expect this to end up being a branched-USB plug device with two computer ends being plugged in for it to work reliably 100% of the time. They need all the data they can get to run a display though a USB port!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS