Aol DSL USB connection or Ethernet Connection?

Andy

HI all I just got a XPS Gen 4 machine. It has an intergrated gigabit
ethernet on the motherboard. What Im curious about is would I be
better off to go with the ethernet connection for aol for dsl or just
do the usb. I have heard some people say that the ethernet solution is
more dependable is there any truth to that at all, and why if some of
you kind people would care to explain to me. Also Im curious if I go
with the ethernet solution do I need special drivers at all. Or what
exactly do I have to do the aol modem I have an actiontec is about
three years old but it does USB or Ethernet either one. Please help I
am confused about the whole situation. I am not interested in
networking anything together just to let that be said...Thanks in
advance...Andy

Andy wrote:
> HI all I just got a XPS Gen 4 machine. It has an intergrated gigabit
> ethernet on the motherboard. What Im curious about is would I be
> better off to go with the ethernet connection for aol for dsl or just
> do the usb. I have heard some people say that the ethernet solution is
> more dependable is there any truth to that at all, and why if some of
> you kind people would care to explain to me. Also Im curious if I go
> with the ethernet solution do I need special drivers at all. Or what
> exactly do I have to do the aol modem I have an actiontec is about
> three years old but it does USB or Ethernet either one. Please help I
> am confused about the whole situation. I am not interested in
> networking anything together just to let that be said...Thanks in
> advance...Andy

Well I know you said you don't plan on networking anything, but I still
suggest you go pick up a cheap 4 port router and two CAT5 cables. Plug
the DSL modem to the router (in the upstream port) and the router to the
computer (to the ethernet port). Next log into the router (open firefox
and go to 192.168.0.1 -- the 0 may be different depending on the brand)
and set it up for PPPoE, enter your username and pw, it will now dial
out, and act like an always on internet connection. You won't need any
drivers or software for your PC.

The reason I suggest getting a router is because it will give you some
protection in the form of a stateful firewall and NAT (Network Address
Translation). I don't use AOL, but what I said ought to apply to most
DSL setups (and for Cable modems its easier, set it to DHCP instead of
PPPoE).

laura

"Nicholas Andrade" <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Andy wrote:
>> HI all I just got a XPS Gen 4 machine. It has an intergrated gigabit
>> ethernet on the motherboard. What Im curious about is would I be
>> better off to go with the ethernet connection for aol for dsl or just
>> do the usb. I have heard some people say that the ethernet solution is
>> more dependable is there any truth to that at all, and why if some of
>> you kind people would care to explain to me. Also Im curious if I go
>> with the ethernet solution do I need special drivers at all. Or what
>> exactly do I have to do the aol modem I have an actiontec is about
>> three years old but it does USB or Ethernet either one. Please help I
>> am confused about the whole situation. I am not interested in
>> networking anything together just to let that be said...Thanks in
>> advance...Andy
>>

> Well I know you said you don't plan on networking anything, but I still
> suggest you go pick up a cheap 4 port router and two CAT5 cables. Plug
> the DSL modem to the router (in the upstream port) and the router to the
> computer (to the ethernet port). Next log into the router (open firefox
> and go to 192.168.0.1 -- the 0 may be different depending on the brand)
> and set it up for PPPoE, enter your username and pw, it will now dial out,
> and act like an always on internet connection. You won't need any drivers
> or software for your PC.
>
> The reason I suggest getting a router is because it will give you some
> protection in the form of a stateful firewall and NAT (Network Address
> Translation). I don't use AOL, but what I said ought to apply to most DSL
> setups (and for Cable modems its easier, set it to DHCP instead of PPPoE).

Most routers come with software to automatically detect the settings needed.
Makes setting the router up a snap. The only thing it might not
automatically detect is the dsl user id and password.

Ethernet is more suitable for DSL use than USB, which I use only as a last
resort for networks. Ethernet allows the possibility to EASILY share the DSL
connection among computers. You can do it with USB DSL, but the computer
directly attached to the DSL modem needs to be powered on for anyone else to
access the internet.

Depending on the number and type of USB devices attached to the computer, there
may be some interference, slowdown or erratic operation of USB DSL. An Ethernet
DSL connection has dedicated hardware and the probability of any problem is just
about nil.

If you use a router, as recommended by others, depending on the brand name and
type of DSL service, you may need to contact the DSL provider to help you
through manual setup of the router. I have used Linksys (now part of Cisco)
routers, wired and wireless, for over three years with no complaints from
clients... Ben Myers