[SOLVED] AOMEI Backupper

jbnimble

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Just built a new W10 system.
BEFORE I activated Windows 10, AOMEI Backupper cloned the primary SSD to another with no problem.
SINCE activiting Windows 10, AOMEI fails to work. I have tried two different target SSDs.
I like AOMEI, before switching to another cloning program, I hope to get AOMEI running.
ANY SUGGESTIONS?

USAFRet

Titan
Just built a new W10 system.
BEFORE I activated Windows 10, AOMEI Backupper cloned the primary SSD to another with no problem.
SINCE activiting Windows 10, AOMEI fails to work. I have tried two different target SSDs.
I like AOMEI, before switching to another cloning program, I hope to get AOMEI running.
ANY SUGGESTIONS?
The OS activation state should have nothing to do with that application functioning.

What, exactly, is it not doing?

jbnimble

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
When AOMEI begins the clone, Win Explorer panes come up saying the disk or partition must be formatted. It is positively already formatted.
AOMEI claims to be completed in less than a minute (unreasonably fast), but all that is written to the target is empty partitions.

AND, AOMEI worked before activation.

I have been using fopr a couple years on Win 7, so I am familiar with its normal behavior, which was the same on unactivated Win 10.

I am considering uninstalling and reinstalling AOMEI, to see if it is better.

USAFRet

Titan
When AOMEI begins the clone, Win Explorer panes come up saying the disk or partition must be formatted. It is positively already formatted.
AOMEI claims to be completed in less than a minute (unreasonably fast), but all that is written to the target is empty partitions.

AND, AOMEI worked before activation.
Reinstall the application.

Or use something else. Like Macrium Reflect.

jbnimble

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Just deleted AOMEI. Noticed in CCleaner uninstall that is was called trial, or some such short-term version, likely the problem.
Back to CNET or somewhere for a permanent version.

Prefer not direct from AOMEI, if possible. Don't want emails about upgraded version.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Just deleted AOMEI. Noticed in CCleaner uninstall that is was called trial, or some such short-term version, likely the problem.
Back to CNET or somewhere a permanent version.

Prefer not direct from AOMEI, if possible. Don't want emails about upgraded version.

A permanent licensed version costs money. If you get it elsewhere, that is piracy.

"CNET" ?
That used to be a place for valid downloads. About a decade ago. Today? Whatever you download comes filled with crapware.
I wouldn't direct my worst enemy to get software from their platform.

If AOMEI gives you too much grief...ditch it!
Macrium Reflect. Their free version works just fine. Only pings you for an update if there is an actual new version. Not a continual begging for payment.

jbnimble

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I downloaded & installed AOMEI again, from CNET. SAME PROBLEM. As soon as AOMEI creates a partition ( First, Recovery, Local Disk) a windows Explorer partition opens, & reports the partition must be formatted. The entire target drive was formatted, and appeared in Explorer, immediately before starting the clone.

I have used Acronis, EaseUS and Macrium Reflect in the past. I prefer a working AOMEI.

jbnimble

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Happy days are here again.
The download direct from AOMEI was identical to the one from CNET -- the direct version filename was was followed by (1).
In any case, when I started the clone again, I noticed for the first time (it was probably there before):

"The Source disk contains over 3 partitions. Disk Clone only supports to copy 3 partitions.
You can use AOMEI Partition Assistant to convert the destination disk to GPT or convert or convert the source disk to MBR, and then do the operation again."

I had no problem with Win 7 because I had only two partitions. AND I thought my target disk was GPT -- wrong.
Tonight the AEOMI clone worked properly -- GPT disk to GPT disk.

The easiest way I have found is to change MBR to GPT is from:

This says:
Open cmd.exe, RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR
There are a bunch of recovery partitions and efi system partition.
Those can be deleted with diskpart (Disk Management will not allow deleting them).

Diskpart clean - is the fastest option.
 diskpart
list disk
select disk 1 (presuming you have only disk 0 and disk 1)
clean
exit
Clean command is data destructive. Be careful with it.

Then initialize the disk as GPT in Disk Management.
I don't know why the other query is inside this post.