AOpen Burners worth it?

Stormcrow

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001
I've been looking at buying a burner, and after reading Tom's review of the Aopen 12x10x32, that sounds like the best buy for the $$$. Is there anyone out there that has been using one of these burners? How is it performing and holding up?

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I can't really point you to anything, but the best I can tell you is that I've heard quite a few stories of bad experiences with them. I would stick with Plextor or some similar brand-name.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

From my experience , NO!! (3 failed drives) But the final decision is yours. If you've absolutely gotta get an AOpen, wait for the CRW1232a with Justlink. I got the Plextor yesterday and it rocks, but most importantly, it works properly.

(BTW...the plextor isn't that much more expensive if you shop around.)

G

I have the Aopen 1232 and I couldn't be more pleased! I too read Tom's article and a few other sources and that was enough for me. It kills me when I read posts about how bad this drive is from people who have never even owned one of them, then they tell you the brand they have is the best, mostly Plex drives. Yes the plex drives are more than likely the king of the hill but it doesn't mean the other burners should bow down and fade away! For the price($160 shipped) you can't beat it, I would have had to buy last years plex model to match that and I want to be faster than that! My drive doesn't have the burn proof stuff but I haven't needed it either. I can do almost anything with the machine while it burns at 12x and still no coasters, not bad eh? All I'm saying is it might not have had the best name in the world, but this product itself is a winner, and I believe most burner problems are not the burners fault, its the user or the user's system. I read too that 98 percent of ALL returned hardware is not defective, its the user can't get it to work with their system. My advise, if you don't want to spend $250 or more for a plex, get this baby- you'll love it!
Mike

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Plexter is highly recommended!

"A masochist walked up to a sadist, and said 'Hurt me'. The sadist said 'No' and walked away."

crapple0

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Stay away from AOpen drives like the plague. First of all, look at the inordinate amount of bad drives people have been reporting. Second, the service I got when I sent mine back was horrific. I was told "2 weeks", I got the drive back 6 weeks later....they ended up sending me a whole new drive anyway...why that takes longer than ONE week, I'll never know.

~Crapple0

G

We sell the AOpen ones at work and dont seem to have any trouble with them, the one youre talking about comes bundled with nero5 here which is a $140 programme

TRENDING THREADS