AOpen CRW1232

crapple0

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Has anyone had problems with the AOpen 12x10x32 CD-RW? Mine is really flaky under Win2k Adv Server...I have yet to record a disc...all I get is "Media Error", no matter which recording software I use.

PS. I've tried this with 12x and 8x Imations, 8x Sony's, and some old 4x TDK's...all fail

Thanks!

~Crapple0<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by crapple0 on 11/13/00 05:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

*glare* I'm not very happy with Acer... my ACER CD-ROM spontaneosly ejected itself last nite, and now the drive has disappeared from Windows. (Read: Windows thought that the DRIVE itself was ejected, not the disc that's in it.)

Does the drive work in any other OS or computer? Try to determine if it's the drive or the OS. If it's the Drive, you might be out of luck, if it's the OS then I have not much of an idea how to make it work (suffice it to say I have tested other brands of cd-burners in Win2K Adv. so it's not the OS itself's fault.) Try NERO (www.ahead.de) and see if that works.

--Kisai
"Hmm, I wonder how many pieces this will end up as when it hits the ground?"

G

Mine didn't work at all. All it did was scratch rings around the disc.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Eh, all I've heard about this drive are problems.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

Ok. I got a replacement drive....now i get "medium speed error" messages. I've tried different brands of cdr's (all rated 12X or 16X). the funny thing is that it re-writes perfectly, no prob. Its no wonder this drive was cheap.

G

You guys are scaring me! I just bought mine. It seems to be O.K. except for copying a CD at 12x. According to Tom's guide it was supposed to come with Nero. But instead it came with NTI.

G

Hmmm ... I have a CRW1232 on an Asus A7V (TBird 800) and it works perfectly under Win 2000 (Server edition) as well as Win 98. (Burns Ricoh 12x, Verbatim 12x even Sony 8x at 12x perfectly ... *grins*)

Try connecting your writer onto it's own seperate cable (mine is on the secondary master). You might have a device conflict with another unit, such as HDD or CD ROM.

Hey, sorry to hear of your misfortune. I saw the drive at egghead (12x 10x 32x -acer/aopen) for 150 bucks. I was doing a little research with the other drives, drives like creative labs, has this technology that helps prevent buffer under-runs and other cd'r errors. I didn't see acer have that. Even though the acer has a 4mb buffer vs 2mb buffer on the creative labs, i'd get creative labs over acer, i heard so many bad things about acer. Although my bro has a 2x 2x 6x cd rewriter and it works fine, i think maybe its because it's too fast. try recording at like 4x or 2x even, it might work. On that note, does anyone have a recommendation for a cd-rw? i'm looking to buy one, i was thinking either plextor, creative labs, or sony. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
good luck with your acer writer!
remember, you get what you pay for!
-Jeff