Aorus Intel Optane Motherboard Giveaway

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2018
1. Quality ( motherboard delivers Low voltage and current noise so that power to pc components like the cpu, gpu, ram, and data drives is consistent; capacitors and other components like diodes, inductors, and mosfets with good tolerances is under this umbrella. Lastly a reasonably durable PCB. I don't want my PCB vulnerable to bending from torque because my gpu is big. My mobo should be able to handle a full sized graphics card without bending and therefore being structurally unsound),

2. A board schematic of the motherboard. If I need to do a repair after warranty is done I want to be able to diagnose issues that may not stem from a short circuit. A boardview block diagram is hugely helpful here. Motherboards are difficult to fabricate with the many layers they have. Ordinary people and even hose out to make copy cats are going to have difficulties making a quality board, so even with a boardview schematic of what the surface mounted parts do exactly and their physical characteristics as well as how power and signals are delivered it doesn't tell me how to fabricate a multilayer board. Therefore, we, consumers should have access to such information because it does not reasonably violate IP protections and not being able to is ver anti consumerist behavior.

3. user controllable temperature throttling (I don't want this done by some Surface mounted controller that I have to override with a programmer unless that controller is only set to do it when components reach 100C)

4. Multigenerational if the performance gains of my processors are minimal. If a more or less identical and slight revisions on an architechure like skylake to thrpugh coffeelake happen I want to be able to use the same motherboard through those generations. I understand, the low end of skylake motherboards is very unlikely to support Coffee lake motherboards to spec. But if I pay 300 USD for a z170 motherboard. It better at the time of the purchase be well above required Z170 spec, and therefore because of that, should not locked out of supporting Kaby or Coffee lake cpus via IC checks or UEFI because that 300 USD motherboard is suppose to have been a top of the line z170. It shouldn't have issues transferring sufficiently low noise DC power, even higher demands, from the PSU (especially if I pair it with a good quality PSU) to Coffee or Kaby lake components. I don't necessarily expect it to support say newer Memory speeds but certainly at least support the new cpu.

May 29, 2018
The most important feature of a motherboard is its quality; in particular, the reliability and stability of the motherboard depend a lot on the quality of its construction, especially when overclocking. Another major metric impacted by quality is the performance, as low-quality motherboards are much less likely to perform well than a high-quality one.

eojhet

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
Value, getting the same features of higher priced boards and forgoing all the extras such as RGB lighting and physical buttons and LCDs intended for overclocking. Any overclocking I engage in will be minimal.

May 12, 2018
I would love motherboards with USB Bios Flash available since it would take away a lot of the pain of upgrading to new CPUs on older Motherboards and finding out that the BIOS is incompatible. Looking at Ryzen here since Intel forces consumers to upgrade Mobos and CPU but yeah, nonetheless a feature that I think should be implemented more.

Status
Not open for further replies.