[SOLVED] Aorus ultra gaming x470 bios update without cpu

Jul 19, 2019
Hey there,

about a month ago I bought the Aorus ultra gaming x470 motherboard, but no CPU yet. I planned to buy the Ryzen 7 2700, but now I'm quite interested in the Ryzen 5 3600, which is basically the same price and according to some benchmarks has better performance than the Ryzen 7 2700.

To make use of the Ryzen 3000 this board needs an bios update and I was wondering if it supports USB BIOS Flashback without any CPU connected?

Does anyone have some information about it? Would you recommend to use the Ryzen 7 2700 anyway?

Thanks for all helpful and well meant answers

Solution
You might even want to go with a Ryzen 5 2600 and OC it to 4 GHz (it will be equal to or even better than a 2600X) just to save some monety and then upgrade to a 3xxx CPU next year when the BIOS bugs have all been worked out.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
There are No Gigabyte B450 or X470 boards that have a Flash Back feature so you would need an older Ryzen CPU to use to update the BIOS.
You could take it to a local PC shop and have them update the BIOS or contact AMD for a Loaner CPU:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

Personally I would wait a few months until the MB manufacturers get the bugs worked out of the BIOS before getting a 3xxx CPU.
By then you might even be able to find that MB with an updated BIOS already installed (with a Ryzen 3000 Ready sticker on the Box).

Jul 19, 2019
Thank you very much for these information!

I already knew, that the workaround would be any AM4-CPU below the Ryzen 3000 generation can be used for the update process.

I bought it already, but it's totally fine ;-)
I'm even not quite sure if i won't be the Ryzen 7 2700, especially because there will be upcoming bugs...

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
You might even want to go with a Ryzen 5 2600 and OC it to 4 GHz (it will be equal to or even better than a 2600X) just to save some monety and then upgrade to a 3xxx CPU next year when the BIOS bugs have all been worked out.

Last edited:
Solution