APC UPS - Bad Batteries or Unit?

egtrev

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Hello,

Not sure if anyone has any experience with these but I have an APC Smart 1000 (SUA1000i).
The battery indicator shows 5 bars and passes the self test.
As soon as I pull power the battery indicator goes straight to 1 flashing bar, it last about 3 minutes before dying (no load/nothing connected).
I can connect back to the power, leave it overnight and it will show 5 bars again and self test fine.

If there anyway I can check if this is a battery issue or the unit itself?
I obviousely don't want to buy new batteries if it's something else.

Thanks for any help.

joex444

Distinguished
Pull the batteries out and check the voltage on them. They're either 6V or 12V batteries and they'll say right on them. If you're seeing something much lower after a full night of charging then the batteries aren't able to hold a charge anymore and should be replaced. The lifespan on a typical sealed lead acid battery, typically what you'll find inside, is about 3-5 years so if you've had this for 3+ years then that's probably the issue. If it's a new purchase, just return it - it's defective in some way and you don't really care why, you just bought it.

It is most likely the batteries simply wearing out, but I did have an issue with the charging circuitry in my UPS that was actually causing the batteries to fail. I smelled a strong sulfur odor one morning and tracked it down (finally) to the UPS. I couldn't slide the battery out because it had a large bulge on the side with some acid leaking out. Had to completely dis-assemble the ups to get the battery out and then I could see some discoloration on the charging units pcb.

See the bulge on the right hand side in this picture:

QU68j0X.jpg

Also see the discoloration on the pcb near the bottom of the "silver" thing:

rCLKK0T.jpg

egtrev

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
The unit itself is around 5 years old, but the batteries were replaced about 14 months ago by a third party.
I've opened the front up and pulled out the batteries (there are two glued and linked together)
The voltage on my meter shows 25.2 together and 12.4/13.1 individually (not sure what it's meant to be?)
I can't see any numbers on the batteries, they just say Genuine APC by Schneider RBC and a bunch of warnings etc.

I'll try leaving the unit off overnight and see what the bars show then.