API-MS-WIN-CORE-PROCESSTHREADS dll file missing

arjeploghelvete

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017
Hello,

An error window just came up suddenly when trying to start Spotify, it said "Cannot find 'api-ms-win-core-processthreads-l1-1-2.dll'. Please, re-install this application".
I don't believe I did anything to cause it, but I might be wrong, what I did was close spotify, then open it again after listening to a song on Windows Media Player, but when I tried to, that error showed up.
Prior to using spotify I was looking at www.blocket.se, which is basically a swedish buy-&-sell website, so that shouldn't have caused it. I have used blocket many times before without this happening.
I searched around on google a little, and whenever I searched for that error, the only thing that showed up was dll-files.com and dll files 4 free, and other <mod edit>, which is probably just junk.
I downloaded an mp3 file from a site called "convert2mp3.net/en/" before this happened, but I have also used that site before, so that's unlikely to cause this error.
I have no idea what could've caused this.
When I try to uninstall spotify (through control panel) it just shows the same error.
I can however launch other programs such as GIMP 2.8, control panel, Minecraft, and Razer Synapse.
I noticed that Windows got a lot slower after the error.
Now I have manually installed some updates and will see if that fixes anything after restarting.

<Moderator Warning: Watch your language in these forums>

Solution
Had the same issue due to a new update (the app is looking for a .dll that doesn't exist in Windows 7), if you manually delete the Spotify folders in "C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local" and "C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming", then re-install the client, this will work.

Closing the app after will cause the same issue however, so this is a temporary workaround.

Hope this helps!

Frontzie

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
Had the same issue due to a new update (the app is looking for a .dll that doesn't exist in Windows 7), if you manually delete the Spotify folders in "C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local" and "C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming", then re-install the client, this will work.

Closing the app after will cause the same issue however, so this is a temporary workaround.

Hope this helps!

Solution

nnifty

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017
Hi! I have the same error after spotify updated to the latest version (v1.0.69.323).

Here is my quick temporary solution.

1. Delete all Spotify files from this two folders
C:\Users\{Your User Name}\AppData\Local\Spotify
C:\Users\{Your User Name}\AppData\Roaming\Spotify

2. Install Spotify client from link below
http://download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe
(now you have working Spotify v1.0.66.478)

3. You have to disable automatic update, otherwise you will get the same error very soon. To prevent client from update you have to create empty file "update" in folder "C:\Users\{Your User Name}\AppData\Local\Spotify".
Then make this file read-only and hidden (assign read-only and hidden attributes)

4. That's all, now Spotify can't update until "update" file exist.

P.S. For lazy ppl, like me :) content of windows batch file:

@ECHO OFF
REM Spotify "api-ms-win-core-processthreads-l1-1-2.dll" error fix

REM Terminate all active Spotify processes

TASKKILL /IM Spotify.exe >NUL 2>NUL
TASKKILL /IM SpotifyWebHelper.exe >NUL 2>NUL

REM DELETE ALL SPOTIFY FILES

RD %APPDATA%\Spotify /Q /S
RD %LOCALAPPDATA%\Spotify /Q /S

REM PREVENT AUTO UPDATE

MKDIR %LOCALAPPDATA%\Spotify
COPY NUL %LOCALAPPDATA%\Spotify\update
ATTRIB +R +H %LOCALAPPDATA%\Spotify\update

ECHO NOW INSTALL SPOTIFY FROM http://download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe

ECHO Press any key...
PAUSE >NUL
EXIT /B

Copy all the text from box above to new document in notepad, then save file as "spotify_fix.bat" to your desktop. Run it, wait for "Press any key...", press any key :) Install Spotify from http://download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe. That's all folks!

nnifty

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017
And one more batch file "enable_spotify_update.bat", for those who want to restore spotify auto update

@ECHO OFF
REM Restore Spotify auto update
REM Terminate all active Spotify processes
TASKKILL /IM Spotify.exe >NUL 2>NUL
TASKKILL /IM SpotifyWebHelper.exe >NUL 2>NUL
REM DELETE "update" file
DEL %LOCALAPPDATA%\Spotify\update /A:H /F /Q
ECHO Spotify auto update enabled! Press any key...
PAUSE >NUL EXIT /B

arjeploghelvete

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017

Thanks for the help!
It worked, hope Spotify does something to fix this, it's very annoying way of opening it.

arjeploghelvete

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017

Thanks for the answer!