[SOLVED] App disappeared from task bar, won't open from start, but is still installed?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
My AOMEI Backupper software vanished from taskbar so I went looking in start where it shows a generic app symbol and won't open when clicked on, but if I go to add/remove programs it is still listed as installed.

What could cause this?

Solution
The generic app icon is usually what you get when a .EXE file has been modified beyond being useful. This can happen if infected by a virus, or disk corruption.
  • Do a full virus scan.
  • Scan your disk with CHKDSK /r c: in command prompt (run as Admin). If asked to reschedule on the next startup, choose Yes and then reboot. OR scan the disk from Explorer's Properties / Tools in This PC (My Computer).

Afterwards, if the Uninstall still exists for the program, uninstall the program and re-install it. If the uninstall program does not exist, let me know and we'll figure out how to remove it from the Add/Remove programs list (or just try reinstalling it from the web that will likely take care of the issue).

gardenman

Splendid
The generic app icon is usually what you get when a .EXE file has been modified beyond being useful. This can happen if infected by a virus, or disk corruption.
  • Do a full virus scan.
  • Scan your disk with CHKDSK /r c: in command prompt (run as Admin). If asked to reschedule on the next startup, choose Yes and then reboot. OR scan the disk from Explorer's Properties / Tools in This PC (My Computer).

Afterwards, if the Uninstall still exists for the program, uninstall the program and re-install it. If the uninstall program does not exist, let me know and we'll figure out how to remove it from the Add/Remove programs list (or just try reinstalling it from the web that will likely take care of the issue).

Solution

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
  • Do a full virus scan.

So I did the DSKCHK and it made me restart, it ended up getting stuck in a BSOD loop with a NTFS FILE SYSTEM error.
Eventually I got it to repair itself and boot up.
No threats detected from a Kaspersky Total Security full scan.
What should I do next? I have had several errors I had to repair over the past year and have been concerned I will have to reinstall Windows but would like to avoid it if possible.

Also I was able to add the app back to the taskbar from the .exe in the installation folder of that app but now I am concerned I am seeing signs of a deeper issue.

gardenman

Splendid
I'm sorry you got the BSOD loop.

If CHKDSK caused a BSOD loop, then it's likely you have issue with the disk itself. A bad disk can cause BSODs (and the loop you experienced). I'm not sure if that is your issue, yet.

Once you get Windows back up and running (I'm assuming you can now) then I would download additional disk testing software. Sometimes the disk maker themselves will have their own testing software (such as Seagate SeaTools or Samsun HUTIL). You can find others here: https://www.lifewire.com/free-hard-drive-testing-programs-2626183 Test the disk. If it shows up as a bad disk, replace it.

I'll also ask @Colif for any additional ideas.