Apple A4 CPU Dissection: iPad is Just a Big Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
Yeah why didn't anyone listen to DAWGSOVERREBS??! Gosh! He has been saying this for a while and the whole internet ignored him! Everyone really ought to get some common sense and be sure not to make that mistake again!

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
if it cant play a simple game like cod 3 then it is a crapper.... can it play something like HL2? Now then it should be a "benchmark" for a meager system like this.... then again netbooks cant either....

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
In apple's defense they really havent been hiding that fact, I mean really, It's looked like an iTouch on steroids since day one :p

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
The AFBS (Apple FanBoys) are eerily silent. I was on another site and it was ablaze with praise for the iPad. They were toting it as the best thing since the wheel. Computing for the masses.....Computing!!! What a joke.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]vaughn2k[/nom]So much for the;"... While it may represent the most bleeding edge of a new technology..."http://www.tomsguide.com/us/ipad-w [...] -6360.htmlok, now it bleeds with crap alright...[/citation]
Oh, come now - you can't hold Tom's to that old post. That was posted 86,400 seconds before this one! You know that technology never sits still. (Hope Tom's can take a joke...)

-------------------------------

[citation][nom]dawgsoverrebs[/nom]I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS SINCE BEFORE THE FREAKIN ANNOUNCEMENT CEREMONY PARADE HOLIDAY THING THEY HAD.[/citation]
Um, you weren't alone... and yet how many times here on Tom's have we been told "its not just a giant iTouch... its something new called a 'tablet'". *rolls eyes*

------------------------------

I wonder if this news will also make Tuan reconsider What HP Needs for Slate to Take on iPad, and Win, or more accurately if Taun is willing to consider that the HP slate falls in the netbook classification while the iPad does not... thus it is like trying to compare netbooks to laptops, or laptops to desktops.

---------------------------------------

Does this news, or the news of weak wi-fi and overheating mean my predictions that people will continue to snap up iPads in an Apple buying frenzy to feel young and hip and cool? No.

Read the book No Logo, and you'll understand that most companies you recognize by name are dropping manufacturing (these require assets, which require liabilities to acquire and run... you know loans for a building and those things called employees) in turn for "branding".

I say this with the greatest respect, Apple has truly mastered the fine art of branding. Were there better mp3 players out there? Were there better smartphones out there? (Consider price point also.) Was their commercial campaign deceptive when comparing their proprietary software and hardware system to the leading operating system software? Did Apple capture an image that their products equal youth, rebellion, hipness, sharp wits, cool, sassy, etc? I think yes.

Either way, I am so sick of the iPad - both the pro- and con- sides... I kinda wish the pro side would say "yeah, it isn't new and revolutionary, but I like it" and the con side would say "glad its working out for you, enjoy".

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Single core Cortex A8, 256MB of RAM. Disappointing, a smartphone like the Nexus One or HD2 even out-specs it.

Good thing the Courier will have that juicy Tegra 2 with dual core Cortex A9 goodness, eh?

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Don't know how many times this can be said but CPU speed matters very little. It's the experience they can squeeze out of that chip that matters. I haven't used an iPad yet (hoping to go try one out sometime this week) but all the reviews I've read said the device is snappy and doesn't slow down under any circumstances. If that is true (once again, don't know from personal experience) it matters very little how "slow" the CPU supposedly is because the user won't ever feel it. If the system is running without hiccup on a 1GHz A8 there's little point in boosting the clock speed to satisfy enthusiasts.

G

Tayb, you write that "It's the experience they can squeeze out of that chip that matters." That's true, but you only have one half of the equation. Sure, the iPad's snappy, but that's because it's a glorified PDA. I'll take my netbook and its "experience" -- full keyboard, Linux support, ability to install damn near whatever I want -- and you can keep the iPad's snappiness with free-websites-turned-into-pay-product "apps."

G

No credibility in this article. For one thing there is no such thing as an 'iTouch'

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008

Wrong dude. Technology may sit still within 24 hours (or 86,400 seconds as you may say) but ideas don't.
Implementation may take 4 to six months or so.

You're definitely wrong.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Well, as an ex-netbook owner I can say that the netbook experience is far from ideal and most of the time is in fact absolutely awful. You get better hardware on a netbook but it's not nearly enough to run Windows 7. 1.6GHz Atom, 2GB of ram, and ION look great in comparison to iPad specifications but the actual user experience is terrible. Slowdowns slowdowns and more slowdowns. That doesn't even mention the cramped keyboard, damn near unusable touchpad, and pathetic battery life. I suppose if you ran a variant of Linux the performance hit wouldn't be as bad but no software is going to fix the hardware failures that plague every netbook I've tried and if we are talking about Linux we are still discussing limited software availability just like the iPad.

The chip in the iPad does what it is supposed to do. Runs the UI without slowdowns and provides great battery life. Why would Apple ramp up the clock speeds when they have nothing to gain from it? The interface won't be any snappier with higher clock speeds.

I didn't see a market for netbooks and still don't quite understand the demand. I don't really see a market for the iPad but I know it too will sell well.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Its a real shame that you cannot install software other than stuff from the App Store
That totally prevents a real side by side benchmarking
It would have been interesting to see how it actually compared

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
It's more of a publicity thing with these apple guys! From all of the review i red about it and there are too many of them..too much apple names:)), i have seen only a big fail! Plus the most of the people do not care about apple or their products :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS