Apple Adds Malware Blocker to Snow Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Don't think Apple ever claimed that they got now virus and no bugs. They instead say windows has LOTS of malware/virus to deal with.

Core2uu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
[citation][nom]pitashen[/nom]Don't think Apple ever claimed that they got now virus and no bugs. They instead say windows has LOTS of malware/virus to deal with.[/citation]

And if OSX had 90%+ of the global desktop marketshare, Microsoft could say the exact same thing.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Certainly far far fewer of them target Macs. But on the other hand, in 30 years I've never had a virus on any of my own systems, Apple or otherwise, unless it was a virtual machine that I intentionally infected in order to write removal tools for clients. Authors of malware would fail miserably but for the users who aid proliferation.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]Core2uu[/nom]And if OSX had 90%+ of the global desktop marketshare, Microsoft could say the exact same thing.[/citation]
Exactly.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
A "great " app indeed; guys at Apple are either irresponsible or too cocky to come up with such a limited product when it comes to malware protection. That's why I would never use a Mac to deal with any of my personal data...

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]tmike[/nom]Certainly far far fewer of them target Macs. But on the other hand, in 30 years I've never had a virus on any of my own systems, Apple or otherwise, unless it was a virtual machine that I intentionally infected in order to write removal tools for clients. Authors of malware would fail miserably but for the users who aid proliferation.[/citation]
Target windows with 90% of all computer users being potential victims?
OR
Target Macs with 4% (guess) of all computer users being potential victims?

If i were spending the time to code a virus i would certainly make it for Windows...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
First Apple tells its customers they don't need such software. Then they release their own software, tied into their OS. How is this not antitrust? Man, I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but come on, won't someone bring Apple to justice?

That said, this just sounds like "Malicious Software Removal Tool Mac Edition" to me.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]First Apple tells its customers they don't need such software. Then they release their own software, tied into their OS. How is this not antitrust? Man, I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but come on, won't someone bring Apple to justice?That said, this just sounds like "Malicious Software Removal Tool Mac Edition" to me.[/citation]

False adv, maybe... anti-trust?... na... OSX or MAC's market share is not even over 50% if not 15%...
By the way, they were kind of right on what they said... because instead of having users install the software... they quitely add the software in the OS (though the power of the software appears to be kind of limited)...lol

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Tmike your full of crap. There is no way in hell you have gone 30 years useing a pc on the internet and never got a virus. BS. Now if you want to say you have never got a virus that caused serious damage to your PC then i might believe you, otherwise i'm calling you a out right lier. Antivirus programs if used proper can catch most viruses but 30 years useing innternet without a virus, give me a break.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
At least Mac users don't have to feed AV companies? I don't know, I run antivirus software in all my computers, Windows or not, it's there just in case. There's no OS that's safe from virus.

caskachan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
hahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahah

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I wasn't one who said macs are immune to such attacks. While there are security improvements they got from the bsd derived base, its no means bulletproof. That said, I think whether your os is riddled with malware or not there should at least be some level of protection bundled. Microsoft has released a product awhile back and now so has Apple. I'm a belt and suspenders kinda guy, so I think security should have 2 levels and obscurity isn't one of them.
Now, I think its time for consumer linux distros to start considering bundling similiar software in their iso's.

G

lifelesspoet: Linux doesn't need anti-malware, not because of limited market share, but by design. Windows and to a lesser extent, OSX, pretty much sell you a house with no doors, and expect you to hire security guards(antivirus and firewall) to examine everything coming in and out. Linux sells you a house with doors that lock, it pretty much cock-blocks any opportunity to execute code remotely. Combined with large package repositories with trusted open-source software, there's no reason to go to shady freeware sites to download applications. Closed-source is the enemy here, not market share.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
It's one thing when you integrate an unintrusive virus-prevention safeguard into an OS. But I have to question it's effectiveness if it only works on files downloaded through certain programs, and only checks for two known threats.
It's another when it's an add-on program that requires a subscription and isn't natively part of the OS that runs in the background sucking up resources while overreacting to every little thing that changes. (I realize there are good free options available, but the average consumer wouldn't know about them.)

Gasek

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Guys, when it comes to make money there is no customer. Apple and Microsoft are out to make money. If Apple has to say that their advantage is a more secure system over PCs they will. If they have to say that their hardware (I've heard that from some confused Mac Lusers) is superior, their OS is better to get there they will. Once they get up there there will be no difference to Microsfot and then some other company maybe Brocolli will rise and we start the cycle again. I really wish Apple's market share increases.

krazyderek

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
PC's and Mac's i've never run virus scanners, they slow down your computer and cost money, i just browse in firefox with adblock plus to get rid of all the crap on pages, and i don't go surfing on malwaregotme.com or press OK to random popups'. Virus scanners can't always get everything out, and your system usualy crawls along afterwards if you try to "fix it" .... just keep an up to date image of your system on a DL DVD RW and flash it if you run into trouble, this applies to mac and pc and usualy entails way less work and time then active malware and virus protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.