Apple and Microsoft Face Touchpad Lawsuit

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

No patents could allow some companies to more properlly compete in some cases could mean we could get better prices with more competition and some companies won't get rich sitting on patents or royalties

Sorry Tsera but back in the 70's and 80's you pushed play and record at the same time to make the electronic device do something extra. Your patent is trash unless you own patents on this early form of pushing buttons. Even the type writer my be seen as such a device which your patent is no where as old.

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I think that patent laws should be re-written to require proof of use of the patented idea or otherwise the patent be forfitted. Seriously, I'm all for intellectual property, but not for it to be sat on to attack companies with a peice of paper 5 years down the road.

This is ridiculous and we all know it. Touchpad/screens have been around for quite a long time now and to not know that someone was infringing on this patent by now is stutteringly unbeleivable. They were waiting for this.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
When I read this patent, I cannot help but think of the old palm pilots that had a stylus pad area where you use their custom gestures with no instantaneous visual feedback to produce effects on screen. I think those violated this patent.

I fail to see how this idea is either novel or unique application of existing technologies. I also fail to see how this is anything more than an general and abstract idea. I do not equate it to an invention like radio or television, which not only details a method of transmission but new and unique ways of using specific hardware to accomplish these tasks. Instead, it seems more like a patent of "using variations of air pressure and frequency in specific patterns to create discrete communication signals for wireless transmission" - or speech.

G

I wonder, did anyone here take the time to read the actual patent? I did, and it makes all those who are claiming this patent to be vague look completely ignorant, which would be true of anyone who has not read the actual patent document. The document is very detailed and spells out exactly how the device works. I am not a fan of over-reaching patents but in my opinion (which I feel hold some merit as I am a private inventor and have been in the patent process for some time) this patent is legitimate. Anyone who thinks this patent is too vague would have to agree that Harley Davidson's patent on the V-Twin engine was way , way out of line too.

G

CAD systems in the 80's used STROKES on a graphic pad to do many commands. So not a new idea, just applying to touch screen rather than a pad, and a portable device rather than a Mini or Mainframe computer. Never should
have been awarded a patent.

G

The patent seems to be on gestures using the touchpad. However with stylus there already were gestures (see Palm etc.). So it's non-sense patent, since in this case the finger is the stylus. It's prior art so patent is bogus most probably

George Birbilis (birbilis.spaces.live.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.