Apple Announces $899 20" iMac for Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

avericia

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
1g of ddr3 is just plain dumb for $900 it should have at least 2g of ddr2. The apple tax is insulting you can get any other company's pc with better stats for half the price.

Only the extremely uninformed buyer would ever consider these boxes.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
i hate apple so much. fucking hippies and college kids who dont know shit about computer's tout them around as though they are some sort of trophy. then of course the maacbook air now that is a piece of without compare.besides macs dont look that cool anyways, well not enough to justify the double price over a better pc.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Your correct in saying that that $900 dollar computer, but a school doesn't need more then 1 GB of RAM when all they do is web browse and do stuff in word.

Any company that wants to make more profit will increase profits by eliminating parts that the consumer wouldn't really need

G

@SneakySnake You are a retard, 1 gig of ram? next they'll be replacing the keyboard with the wheel... (google macbook wheel)

mrubermonkey

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Great, now educational institutions will be able to act as wholesalers to retailers that will then sell to consumers or maybe they will cut out the middleman entirely and start selling their "surplus' iMacs to consumers directly.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
A few months ago I saw Oregon Trail (updated version, not very good) for the PC. I have no reason to ever go back to a Mac, but man, did I love playing that game at school during lunch.

chuenl

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
If the school knows how to save money, they should just spend half of that $900 and get a Dell Mini.

Of course, they will have to stick with Micro$oft and hire a good IT to fight with all the potential viruses that were out there.

gesha

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Just for kicks:

CPU: Well I can't even find an intel C2D 2ghz CPU anywhere, so forced to go with the T8100 at 2.1GHz instead. Not available for resale, but on e-bay under $150. And since we know that ebay is now more expensive then NewEgg, we can assume that this is overpriced. More like $125ish would be right.

GeForce 9400: Assuming this is the 512MB model, not 1GB. Non the less, price is $50 for 512MB, and about $60 for the 1GB.

160GB HD (lol at this btw). Assume a quality company, so lets take Seagate 7200.12. $40. If you prefer another manufacturer, $45 tops.

802.11n card. At best, $25. At worst, $75 for some of the highest end model. Can safely assume highest end is NOT in the iMac. So approximat about $45.

DDR3 1066. LOl at this too. 1GB eh? Couldn't find any 512MBx2 kits, so assume 1 stick, tops at $18.99. 2GB kits top at $38.99 btw, just for comparison's sake.

DVDRW - looking at only the 'slim' models, this still tops out at $70, and goes as low as $39. Apples Superdrive retails for $100 just for comparison.

OS - XP Pro for OEMs - $140

20"LCDs retail for approx $150. Lets be conservative and say a laptop LCD costs the same amount.

Laptop Camera: best options will run about $80-$100. Mainstream is

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
The schools should be buying lease backs for about $150. This will get you a XP capable machine that is about 3-4 years old. Add in a CRT 17 or 19 for about $20- $30. They would be retarded to buy new machines.

They could buy these units by the pallet from Dell.

G

Good work Gesha. A very conservative estimate that shows even with relatively high end components, which the product will not have, this machine would only cost ~$700 retail.

A M$ fanboy would have just noted the lowest possible prices and summed them up. Keep in mind that wouldn't be the worst idea however because apple does not buy retail and the lowest retail prices wouldn't be too far off the mark of production costs.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Wow this is amazing! Apple is thinking schools shovel out $900 for computers!? My school paid $350 each for their computers and that was when school budget were decent! My school already breaks the law by requiring $20 and an extra $70 for each sport or club a student may be in. Where does Apple think schools will get the extra cash to buy overpriced computers that do not even meet the basic needs of the school (restricting any from of use of the PC via security software) and its students (it is nice being able to understand the OS when using it)?

Also the PCs at my school are ancient, but have the following parts (I might have broken a few rules looking up there system specs):

Basic:
P4 2.2 Ghz
1GB DDR 333 Mhz
graphics unknown
20GB HDD

For teachers:
AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 1.8 Ghz
1GB DDR 333 Mhz
ATI Xpress 200m
40 GB HDD

Both of which have 1GB OF RAM!!!

And for a fun comparison.

The principle's PC built by your truly:
Q9450 @ 3.6 Ghz w/ swiftech H120 (large heatsinks would not fit)
MSI P45
8GB DDR2 1000 Mhz 4-4-4-15 Mushkin Redline
9600 GT low profile
Silverstone HTPC case.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
wow what a deal, they are selling the old discounted models to students and asking them to pay through the nose for them...

mii

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
This comment is for tacoslave. In colleges people need to get work done and no time for pc related issues that is why they own Apples. Dealing with a load of pc hardware and driver issues and knowing how to resolve them does not constitute "knowing shit" about computers. What you claim to know is exactly that... useless shit. I doubt you do anything past putting crappy pcs together and game on it. I would be shocked if your computer skills are past that. Apple is purchased by people who want headache free computing experience. For the rest of you there is the cheap pc alternative. Enjoy.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
[citation][nom]mii[/nom]This comment is for tacoslave. In colleges people need to get work done and no time for pc related issues that is why they own Apples. Dealing with a load of pc hardware and driver issues and knowing how to resolve them does not constitute "knowing shit" about computers. What you claim to know is exactly that... useless shit. I doubt you do anything past putting crappy pcs together and game on it. I would be shocked if your computer skills are past that. Apple is purchased by people who want headache free computing experience. For the rest of you there is the cheap pc alternative. Enjoy.[/citation]

Yeah and then there is Apple who charges an extra 30-60% the price for a PC with an OS that has just as many problems as Windows, sorry try again.

vaskodogama

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Apple OSX: too dumb, too numb, too chilish!
MS Windows: Friendly, not with everyone that put finger in it's ass!
Linux: Angry, Not kind with anyone exept Hardcore users

and about this hardware apple selling, like always, they are charging FAR more than the normal price!

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I work in a school that has both new Dell's and 5 year-old eMac's with 1Gb of RAM. The eMac's are far superior to the Dell's, and by the time you get all of the MS software then you are far beyond the price of the Mac. The life cycle of the PCs is about 3-4 years, whereas the Mac 5-6.

I still have not found a PC laptop with the EXACT same specs as my new 17" MBP that is cheaper. BTW, I build my own PCs and have two Win boxes and two Mac's at home.

You people spewing all of this dogma and hatred against Apple, are exactly what is wrong with this country...too much emotion and not enough rational thought. Time to go to school kiddos.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Oh, to upgrade to 2-4 Gb of RAM would only cost a school $35-$60. The majority of schools do not use more than a Gig of RAM. I am running CS3 with 1 Gb on 5 year-old eMac's and all is fine, but I need more RAM to do any rendering, video, or audio work.

I should add that I cannot run CS3 on any 5 year-old Dell with 1Gb.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Bottom line, PC's are cheaper and have better hardware for the price compared to Apples. If you load XP or Vista on a decent PC and don't websurf all over creation and open every junk mail and spam or install every concievable software your stumble upon, you will be fine and your PC will run fast and smooth for years and years. It comes down to the user. If they are foolish they will trash their machine and it doesn't matter if its a PC or Mac, it will happen. Don't blame the platform, most people shouldn't even own a computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.