News Apple Announces Mac Studio with M1 Ultra

Sippincider

Reputable
Apr 21, 2020
Could someone verify the power connection on this?

Whether it's a plain cord with a C5 "Mickey Mouse" connection (as appears it may be)? And NOT some kind of MagSafe with a power brick?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: artk2219

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
"Apple claims the M1 Studio can play 18 streams 8K ProRes 422 video, and the company says it's the only computer that can do so. "
really.... how interesting

I claim my PC plays 90%+ of games out there and it's the only computer that can do so if we compare vs Apple :ROFLMAO:

Could someone verify the power connection on this?

Whether it's a plain cord with a C5 "Mickey Mouse" connection (as appears it may be)? And NOT some kind of MagSafe with a power brick?
Considering the M1 Mac Mini has an internal PSU and the Mac Studio appears to simply build up on that, then it's reasonable to assume that it uses a standard IEC cable for power.

Besides, the MagSafe connector doesn't make sense here. If your desktop computer is plugged in a way that allows someone to trip over the cable, you're doing it wrong.

None of that stopped Apple from putting MagSafe in the current iMac 24".
My argument to that is:
  • An IEC connector would make it fatter
  • The Mac Studio is meant to be a "professional" device, which tends to be more friendly to industry standard parts. Heck it wouldn't surprise me if this thing gets a decently high score on iFixit.
But in the end, what's the benefit of a Mag Safe connector on a desktop computer assuming that you policed your cables? It makes more sense to me to use it on a laptop because you can't always find a place that allows for decent cable management.

And if you don't do decent enough cable management with your desktop to avoid trip hazards...