Apple Announces New MBA and Retina Display MacBook Pro

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]Delengowski[/nom]I can't believe more people aren't upset about no ethernet and forcing us to go to flash. I can live without the optical drive, but I'd like to have a HDD+SSD(and the prices they charge for extra memory is redic) with that screen. OH WELL, I seriously don't understand the point of these new MBPs, if you want light weight (as if the older MBPs were heavy...bulk up people) you had the air.[/citation]
You run the ethernet through one of the Thunderbolt ports with a dongle.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]So that Asus has the same resolution?[/citation]
Do you have a big ass HDTV in your living room? It has that lovely 1080p resolution that just sticks it to the old standard by miles. That's good.
Now go get your old VCR and watch a movie on that same HDTV, notice how the image looks crap? That's because the media is the lower format and no amount of extra pixels on screen is going to bring it up.
As it stands in the world there is no mass media that is produced for the resolution of this screen, the nearest you will get is a Bluray movie, assuming that you can attach a drive to it via USB.
Don't get me wrong, when Netflix start streaming 4K2K movies and TV shows this thing will be probably the best thing to watch it on, even better than the iPad because at least the MBP is widescreen, but I think this a hefty premium to pay for a machine that will have at least 3 other machines that will replace it by the time media catches up to utilise the screen to its potential.
Oh, and anyone that says "but CAD design and blah blah" - yeah, the majority of people in that field use a MacPro workstation and a 30 inch screen.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]Delengowski[/nom]I can't believe more people aren't upset about no ethernet and forcing us to go to flash. I can live without the optical drive, but I'd like to have a HDD+SSD(and the prices they charge for extra memory is redic) with that screen. OH WELL, I seriously don't understand the point of these new MBPs, if you want light weight (as if the older MBPs were heavy...bulk up people) you had the air.[/citation]
They're still making a model 15" with ethernet and hdd just for folks like you. iFixiT's tear-down of the new MBP made me not want it so much.

urbanrider

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
[citation][nom]chicofehr[/nom]Wow, I can't believe that most monitors are stuck in the stone age at 1080P and this small screen has higher reselution then the 30 inchers. I might have to buy a mac pro just for the resulution alone out of protest to the pc makers who can't put decent reselutuon screens in their laptops. Of course ill overwrite the crap os with windows 7[/citation]

I will buy the new MBP just because of the screen and the trackpad.

Status
Not open for further replies.