Apple Announces New T-Bolt, Quad-core iMacs

Status
Not open for further replies.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
All of the clock speeds and brands look very familiar, but something is very wrong... I swear I saw all of this stuff online for a ton less... oh wait I'm reading an Apple article :)

G

Mobility discrete cards. In what is supposed to be a desktop solution.

And the Applonians will devour it like candy.

scatrdfew

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Apple makes a very nice product. These prices seem reasonable to me for the brand/quality you'll be getting. People that own Macs love them for a reason.

pangedit

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Sweet...I ve been wanting to get a mac to see what the fuzz is all about. this maybe a good opportunity to finally get one :/

AppleBlowsDonkeyBalls

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Didn't think I'd be saying this but I think it's worth it.
27" 2560x1440 IPS Display: $1000
Intel Core i5 2400: $190
Radeon HD 6970M: comparable to Radeon HD 6850 (but with less power consumption): $170
4GB DDR3 RAM: $40
1TB 7200RPM HDD: $60
Power Supply (whatever it may be): $60-80
Casing: $100
Peripherals: $100
Total: ~$1750

Paying $250 more to have it all in one case doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. I can see these being popular with video editors and maybe people who do 3D rendering.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
OK, looking at the componentry, comparing it to part prices on NewEgg, etc., and the first thing I have to say...

...the price is actually reasonable for what you get, as long as that is all you want. Once you buy an iMac, that's it. No room for upgrades. But for what you get, the price is actually not too far off from the parts-only price. And that's desktop prices, not the mix of mobility parts that the iMac uses (which are actually more expensive in the end).

What you don't get...the iMac is one of the best-designed computers out there, both for form and function. I had one of the older white G5 iMacs on my desk at work and was constantly complimented on what a nice monitor I had, the folks not realizing that was the whole computer.

G

But that's the problem with all-in-ones. Not expendable and (already) outdated way before the monitor is.

slothy89

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
The Guy above has it right, the Apple Tax only comes in when you start upgrading the specs. Eg the SSD, RAM get very pricey very quickly. As well as tacking on their 3yr support, which is a cpl hundred extra.
If you look at the hardware ONLY with no upgrades or extras, Apple has a reasonable product.

And no I'm not an Apple "fan-boy", I own 2 windows pcs self built, and a windows laptop. However I work with macs on a daily basis and can say with confidence that their PCs are good quality. You generally get your money's worth

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Also, because Apple completely backs their product, I heartily recommend it to folks who ask me what kind of computer they should buy. Why? Because Apple stores are becoming ubiquitous, and I would much rather said person resolve any issues at the Genius bar than call me at 3:00 in the afternoon with questions about how to add a new email account. I cost waaay too much to be someone's help desk.

Do you pay a premium? Probably. Is it worth it? Undoubtedly. Is this a gamer's dream system? Absolutely not, since it isn't upgradeable. Is this a good machine for someone new to computing? Without a doubt!

Could I buy a similar system from Dell? Again, most likely. Would that person get the same level of support? I have had experience with this in the past, and I can say, resoundingly, no, because the first call I made, I got "Neal" with a very distinct Mumbai accent, and he couldn't do anything more than read me a script off his screen. And this was corporate support. I can't imagine the horrid state of consumer support.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]appleblowsdonkeyballs[/nom]Didn't think I'd be saying this but I think it's worth it.27" 2560x1440 IPS Display: $1000Intel Core i5 2400: $190Radeon HD 6970M: comparable to Radeon HD 6850 (but with less power consumption): $1704GB DDR3 RAM: $401TB 7200RPM HDD: $60Power Supply (whatever it may be): $60-80Casing: $100Peripherals: $100Total: ~$1750Paying $250 more to have it all in one case doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. I can see these being popular with video editors and maybe people who do 3D rendering.[/citation]
I think you're making a mistake. It is 6970M, a mobility version and it is NOT comparable to a 6850. Not even close.

dimamu15

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
"...I think it's worth it."
then:
"27" 2560x1440 IPS Display: $1000"
WHAT?
Didn't think I'd be saying this but... i think u r an idiot. Well, sorry, maybe u r just a troll, in which case it's fine i guess.

Hm, might be I am an idiot myself for writing post in the apple article. I'll be better laughing hysterically in a corner.

AppleBlowsDonkeyBalls

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
[citation][nom]alikum[/nom]I think you're making a mistake. It is 6970M, a mobility version and it is NOT comparable to a 6850. Not even close.[/citation]

Actually, yeah it is. Research before you post. It has the exact same core configuration as the HD 6850 and the only difference between both is the fact that the 6970M is clocked 14% lower in the Core and 11% faster on the Memory. In reality it should be around 12% faster. So yes, they are comparable. The 6970M is the mobile version of the desktop Radeon HD 6850.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]dimamu15[/nom]"...I think it's worth it."then:"27" 2560x1440 IPS Display: $1000"WHAT? Didn't think I'd be saying this but... i think u r an idiot. Well, sorry, maybe u r just a troll, in which case it's fine i guess.Hm, might be I am an idiot myself for writing post in the apple article. I'll be better laughing hysterically in a corner.[/citation]
Well, Dell's 27" IPS is around that price too. However, I just wonder if Apple's IPS would work with Windows 7

AppleBlowsDonkeyBalls

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
[citation][nom]dimamu15[/nom]"...I think it's worth it."then:"27" 2560x1440 IPS Display: $1000"WHAT? Didn't think I'd be saying this but... i think u r an idiot. Well, sorry, maybe u r just a troll, in which case it's fine i guess.Hm, might be I am an idiot myself for writing post in the apple article. I'll be better laughing hysterically in a corner.[/citation]

Go here and shut up: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&sku=224-8284&redirect=1

The Dell U2711 uses the exact same panel. It's $950 now because of temporary savings, but normally it's $1000.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009

He was only stating his opinion dude. Chill out. Who's trolling... looks like you to be honest.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]appleblowsdonkeyballs[/nom]Actually, yeah it is. Research before you post. It has the exact same core configuration as the HD 6850 and the only difference between both is the fact that the 6970M is clocked 14% lower in the Core and 11% faster on the Memory. In reality it should be around 12% faster. So yes, they are comparable. The 6970M is the mobile version of the desktop Radeon HD 6850.[/citation]
I know it is based off 6850. Perhaps we're looking at diff sets of numbers because from what I see, the 6850 still pulls ahead of the 6970M.

everyone i've spoken to who owns the previous model to these (about 4 people) say they get incredibly hot and can feel the heat radiating from them just sitting in front of it. Hopefully they find a way to disperse heat better. In the end you get a hot box with limited functionality, which is fine if you only have limited applications you wish to use. For everyone else, there is windows. There is a good reason windows still dominates. Unfortunately most people who buy macs buy them because salespeople told them they are better, faster, more reliable, less prone to viruses etc; which is all bogus.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]everyone i've spoken to who owns the previous model to these (about 4 people) say they get incredibly hot and can feel the heat radiating from them just sitting in front of it. Hopefully they find a way to disperse heat better. In the end you get a hot box with limited functionality, which is fine if you only have limited applications you wish to use. For everyone else, there is windows. There is a good reason windows still dominates. Unfortunately most people who buy macs buy them because salespeople told them they are better, faster, more reliable, less prone to viruses etc; which is all bogus.[/citation]
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.