Apple Applies for New Multitouch Patent

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I really don't like this type of patent. The touch screen has been invented already, multiple touch or not, it's still the same type of device. It's like I invented the 2x4 plank of wood, so I patent it, but then I have to patent having 2 planks of wood. One touch, 2 touch, 20 touch, what's the difference besides the programing behind it? Even the programming is the same logic, you just multiply it.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
or better eyemaster you patent the 2x4 board then try and patent all the things you can make with that 2x4 (or patenting all the angled cuts you can make on that 2x4)... This is very silly.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]or better eyemaster you patent the 2x4 board then try and patent all the things you can make with that 2x4 (or patenting all the angled cuts you can make on that 2x4)... This is very silly.[/citation]
No no no, you don't patent all the things you make with a 2x4, you wait for someone to make something, then you sue them claiming it was covered under your original "organic geometric construction device" patent.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
If they patented touch with finger print recognition then it would be truly a breakthrough. When the tablet or device is stolen it will be unusable since it will only respond to the owner's fingers.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
regardless of the silliness (or not) of the patent it is interesting to think about what Apple might have up it's sleeve.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
This hasl already been patented. Tom Cruise uses it to access his computer to help him get murderers. Silly Apple...always patenting someones inventions.

G

[citation][nom]gmcboot[/nom]The patents system isn't stupid, but it is being abused by corporations that want to own and control EVERYTHING! Apple may not develop anything like this, but their patent will make sure no one else does either unless they pay apple. In my opinion, you shouldn't be able to patent ANYTHING unless you can show either working prototype, otherwise you are patenting an idea. An idea that someone else may have at the same time and may be further ahead of you. It shouldn't be who got to the lawyers office first.One of the reasons I hate apple is because they try to act so benign while being the worst offenders of stifling any creativity not their own. BTW I am patenting air and you all owe me 19 trillion dollars. I do not take small denomination bills or gift cards.[/citation]

well here is the big and most important problem with apple they dont share even if you want to pay them. thus you get the big kid in the sandbox problem. also it is indicative of them wanting to run the world. and if i might add FIGHT THE POWER.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]major7up[/nom]regardless of the silliness (or not) of the patent it is interesting to think about what Apple might have up it's sleeve.[/citation]

Specially since its Apple that have it is why im worried about actually..

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
This looks awesome. A multi touch screen that can accurately tell which finger or part of your hand you have on the device. Imagine resting your wrists without hitting a button. Certain buttons or gestures only working with certain fingers.

Very cool.

The patent system for the tech world would work better if it only gave 1.5 year exclusivity. Why shouldn't Apple be rewarded for developing it first? But anymore than 1.5 years is an eternity in the techworld. 9 years is crazy.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Apparently nobody here remembers, but both Apple and Microsoft began their empires by taking credit for other companies' innovations. Just ask a Xerox shareholder from the early '80s.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
No invention stands alone. Without equivalent prior art, this is new. The assertion that it is merely "better software" is invalid, as this is new end-user functionality; that this functionality is implemented in software has no bearing (in the U.S., at any rate - per the Supreme Court. the idea is that whether implemented as software or hardware, the resulting object is essentially the same when taken as a whole).

The 2x4 comparison leads nowhere as a 2x4 is not a "new and novel invention" (and never was), and because existing touch software is not simply "multipled", as an earlier poster described it - that is, multitouch functionality is not simply 10 or 12 instances of a single-touch implementation (and, even if it were, the end result is the patentable object, not the implementation).

(As an aside re: wildwell's comment, as everyone else knows Xerox was compensated for and assisted with Apple's efforts.)

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Toms Hardware[/nom]unprecedented integration of typing, resting, pointing, scrolling, 3D manipulation, and handwriting into a versatile, ergonomic computer input device.[/citation]
I hope the patent gets rejected...This type of patent only screws everyone up with vague wording, as the above quote could be applied to pretty much any touchscreen interface that exists already!

Status
Not open for further replies.