Apple Applies For Patent Relating to 'Active Stylus' Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Please let me know when Apple patents breathing as it looks to me like that is going to happen soon given Apple's recent patent spree.

ibnmuhammad

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Surprising how quickly people forget history.
Steve Jobs stated that the stylus was a horrible device for various reasons, I think one of the first times he publicly said this was in 2007 when the iPhone was announced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uW-E496FXg

Android lovers forget that Samsung/Google are also patent-happy.

Like them or not, the only reason we hear of Apple's patents is because they're currently the "darling" of the Wall Street because it's currently one of the most interesting companies at the forefront of tech.
i.e. PowerMac, Airbook (ultrabook), iPhone, iPad, etc.

I personally think without Steve Jobs, Apple is a dying company.

Undertuned

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
While other companies are investing in stocks and realestate to be more futureproof, it seems like Apple is investing in patents.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Another reworking of existing technology involving prior art which will be granted by a corrupt and discredited Patent office, this will be used to suppress innovation and feather the nests of lawyers.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I guess I got my Note 2 just in time. Next they will patent active wallpaper, all of the new camera features that I am starting to love.

Apple needs to recognize that Samsung is totally bitch slapping them when it comes to giving the people what they want.

You can watch the movie "Hot tub time machine" to see all of the cool things from the 80's. Someday people will laugh at the phone that had a protective case with a hole cut in it so that people can see the logo.

Leg warmers used to be cool too.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Stylus has one advantage finger can never replicate. Its tip is much smaller and hence can be very precise in pinpoint a small region of the surface. Current touch UI popularized by Apple suffers from the fact that too much screen area has to be reserved for interaction and reducing the available space for content. Steve Job was wrong about stylus. A good stylus implementation will move the touch UI beyond what is currently available.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"Steve Jobs stated that the stylus was a horrible device for various reasons,"

And not so horrible for applications that involve sketching/drawing or taking down handwritten notes. Wasn't Jobs' primary issue about *requiring* a stylus for basic use of the device?

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]undertuned[/nom]While other companies are investing in stocks and realestate to be more futureproof, it seems like Apple is investing in patents.[/citation]

This is how tech corporations have operated for decades

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]"Steve Jobs stated that the stylus was a horrible device for various reasons,"And not so horrible for applications that involve sketching/drawing or taking down handwritten notes. Wasn't Jobs' primary issue about *requiring* a stylus for basic use of the device?[/citation]

Last I checked Steve Jobs is dead and not leading this product development and patent...

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Would love to see a stylus for tablets that has just as good pressure detection as Wacom drawing tablets. I know Wacom has a stylus out for tablets... But I think having a screen that can sense pressure natively would be the better way to go, instead of making more advanced/costly stylus.

G

All this misinformation regarding styli

Apple is talking about a capacitive touch screen stylus, Samsung uses an active Digitizing pen coupled with a dual mode capacitive/digitizing touch screen

@shadowfamicon
the wacom digitizing surface (screen/tablet) senses the pressure in conjunction with the pen, as far as accuracy goes hard to beat wacom's solution (which does not need batteries), the reason why the penable (dual mode capacitive/digitizing screen) cant match the pressure sensitivity of an all out digitizing surface is because the screen creates interference, even with good shielding your be hard push to get any more pressure sensitivity then on the penable screens

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
[citation][nom]activeDigiPen[/nom]All this misinformation regarding styliApple is talking about a capacitive touch screen stylus, Samsung uses an active Digitizing pen coupled with a dual mode capacitive/digitizing touch screen@shadowfamiconthe wacom digitizing surface (screen/tablet) senses the pressure in conjunction with the pen, as far as accuracy goes hard to beat wacom's solution (which does not need batteries), the reason why the penable (dual mode capacitive/digitizing screen) cant match the pressure sensitivity of an all out digitizing surface is because the screen creates interference, even with good shielding your be hard push to get any more pressure sensitivity then on the penable screens[/citation]

Awesome! That answered a few questions I had been wondering about, thanks for the informative reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.