Question Apple Base station retirement - need at least one lan port

waynewal

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Have an older Apple Airpoirt router using with Cable Modem. Has 3 output lan ports.
Looking for a decent router that has at least one external LAN port to keep computer direct connect.
A second would be great to directly connect my printer.
OR should I replace my ARRIS Surfboard SB6183 cable modem with a combination?
I own the cable modem - Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
Have an older Apple Airpoirt router using with Cable Modem. Has 3 output lan ports.
Looking for a decent router that has at least one external LAN port to keep computer direct connect.
A second would be great to directly connect my printer.
OR should I replace my ARRIS Surfboard SB6183 cable modem with a combination?
I own the cable modem - Thanks!
An Asus router that is supported by Merlin firmware -- https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/
An AX86 or AX 88 would be fine.

waynewal

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007

kanewolf

Titan
Sorry for delay in answering - family problems came up.
Looking at
on Amazon
Still recomending this? Thank you!
The AX86S is not listed as supported on the Merlin firmware website but looking at the support forum -- https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/ it looks like the AX86S is supported. So I would still recommend it.

Reactions: waynewal
A note on asus firmware. You need to be sure to update to the latest firmware. Not sure exactly the firmware versions that have a issue but they pushed a version that re introduced some huge remote access exploits. Merlin does not seem to have been affected so you can load the merlin code. The very latest asus code version are good too but it hit just about every router in their lineup.
This is the second major router mess up in the last couple months and they already have enough bad press for their motherboard firmware. You pay a premium for asus so it is unfortunate they are putting out crap software lately.

waynewal

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
A note on asus firmware. You need to be sure to update to the latest firmware. Not sure exactly the firmware versions that have a issue but they pushed a version that re introduced some huge remote access exploits. Merlin does not seem to have been affected so you can load the merlin code. The very latest asus code version are good too but it hit just about every router in their lineup.
This is the second major router mess up in the last couple months and they already have enough bad press for their motherboard firmware. You pay a premium for asus so it is unfortunate they are putting out crap software lately.
Thanks ! Have installed the Asus router and things seem to be going smoothly- thanks for the help!