Apple Believes It Invented Wireless Charging, Patents Idea

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
They have the technology it's not something stolen who wants to put their phone on a pad when it can we done a meter away, of course they would patent it if they created it. Don't know why you guys are upset about it. I am sure the pad charger is patented, but that's ok right?

faust_67

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Apple can patent a SPECIFIC and NEW way to wirelessly charge a device, but they cannot patent the idea of wireless charge (idea that as many pointed out was developed way before Apple even existed, and have successfully been implemented by various companies)

holyknight1121

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Soon all your wireless charging products will cost 2x more, yup. They are just in this for more money and monopolization. Nothing good can come from all this patent gain.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

I won't pretend to understand it (or have even read it), but the article contains a link to the patent itself (for ease of access), and that looks quite technical and specific, and as such demonstrates an understanding of it. In fact, there's even a section in the document titled "Background."

See above; it actually does appear to be a specific method, and not the idea.

For as much heat as Zak gets, he's probably the most successful news writer at Tom's.

G

I really hate saying this (since I do enjoy Samsung products, and really do hate Apple), but they aren't patenting wireless charging, and the headline really is very misleading in that sense.
They are patenting a way of wireless charging multiple devices, but in a rather strange way.
To put it into laymen's terms, say you have a multilayer cake of 3 layers. The bottom layer would be the actual charger. The middle layer would be device #1. The top layer would be device #2.
They are patenting a way to charge device #1, and then use part of the charging that went into device #1 to wirelessly charge device #2.
It's different, but based on the same idea behind normal wireless charging. What I really think is the problem, is that they wouldn't pay any royalties to anyone who had the base idea behind wireless charging (which I think is stupid, they should).
Anyway, that's the quick and easy way to explain the patent. Has this been patented before? I kind of doubt it (as far as multiple devices are concerned). But in regards to the wireless charging, this has been done many times over before.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Tesla invented wireless electricity to power remote devices long long time ago, so i fail to see how anyone can patent his ideas.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]The article title and text is misleading and just about all the commentor dufus heads are falling for it, as usual. If anyone were to read the patent, it pretains to a specific implementation using magentic ressonance. A specific instance and application of a technology is legitimately patentable.[/citation]
The thing is that Nikola Tesla method uses magnetic resonance.

G

i've been using wireless charging on my Nintendo Wii controllers before 2010 ... steal idea, patent it and sue the innovators, and get $1 Billion reward - good business, same as being a corrupt politician or robbing a bank, but this is safer

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]watch how the USPO approves the patent. I sure as hell wouldnt want that to happen, but sadly, USPO is the lead in Apple rimming.[/citation]
uspo = us post office
uspto = us patent and trademark office

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Nope Wireless power by the magnetic resonance principle was developed by Witricity first.
MIT is working on wireless powered roads to power electric vehicles.

kommenteer

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
I recently switch every Apple device I had out because I believe this behavior is unacceptable. Everyone else should do the same #capitalism.

As an added bonus, my laptop was 1/3 the price and better than a Macbook, and my Liumia 920 kicks ass. Hiyo.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]It doesn't matter. If Apple was a car manufacturer they would patent the wheel and sue the rest of the world for it.[/citation]
The wheel has already been patented to someone. But Im sure apple could change some words around and get it patent again and sue the orignal owner and win.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]The article title and text is misleading and just about all the commentor dufus heads are falling for it, as usual. If anyone were to read the patent, it pretains to a specific implementation using magentic ressonance. A specific instance and application of a technology is legitimately patentable.[/citation]
Yes but they will get this patent and then sue Qualcomm, on some gray area. Then they will win and claim some massive amount of money and resue with every update Qualcomm does in its technology.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
We should have the term "Patent" changed to "Apple" with regards to trivial or stolen ideas getting patented. So if you've got a stolen idea? Apple it. Got a circle or square you want to sue people for using? Apple it.

yannigr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Wireless here, wireless there, we are changing our houses into radiography laboratories. All these are safe of course and I am a moron to worry anyway.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Late 1970... bought an electric toothbrush from AEG with wireless charging.
The thing lasted for over 25 years. Talk about reliable technology.

and now Apple wants to patent the idea?

Seriously, the problem is NOT Apple, but an obviously incompetent and corrupt US patent system.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]geraldfryjr[/nom]Electric Tooth Brush's where among the First to sport wireless charging !!!!It is not a knew concept as all !!! jer[/citation]

Its about distance, ie. no direct contact with the wireless charging station is required.
That's what Apple is saying is unique, not sure if it is or not, but compare Apples to Apples in your example (no pun intended)

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Late 1970... bought an electric toothbrush from AEG with wireless charging.The thing lasted for over 25 years. Talk about reliable technology.and now Apple wants to patent the idea?Seriously, the problem is NOT Apple, but an obviously incompetent and corrupt US patent system.[/citation]

Did that have charging at a distance from the wireless charging station?

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]jj463rd[/nom]Nope Wireless power by the magnetic resonance principle was developed by Witricity first.MIT is working on wireless powered roads to power electric vehicles.[/citation]

And universities all over the world worked on OLEDs and other display technologies that Samsung, LG and Sharp have patented, so what's your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.