Apple Blocking Intel Netbook CPUs in Mac OS X?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neosoul

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
As much as I loathe Apple and their practices, it's understandable (if you're a Mac fanboy) to limit their OS from untested platforms.

Their whole business model revolves around perception as in Macs are fast and they just 'work' (and thus needs the premium price). Can't have a cheap hardware platform harm their OS image... or worse yet, work exceptionally well!

This propaganda will continue as long as Apple are in business. I even have (otherwise smart) friends believing that their bootcamp installed Win7 will run faster than a comparable laptop. Completely neglecting that, that comparable laptop would cost hundreds less with a BETTER warranty. uggghhhhhhh

d3adp0ol

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I think it's hilarious. Most software developers try to sell as many copies of their product as possible. Apple actively tries to PREVENT people from buying and installing theirs.

Hey, I'm a mac, and I hate the poor and middle class. Can't afford a $1,500 netbook? Too bad, you're not cool enough to be a mac."

Oh yeah? Well f&^k you Justin Long!

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]d3adp0ol[/nom]I think it's hilarious. Most software developers try to sell as many copies of their product as possible. Apple actively tries to PREVENT people from buying and installing theirs.Hey, I'm a mac, and I hate the poor and middle class. Can't afford a $1,500 netbook? Too bad, you're not cool enough to be a mac."Oh yeah? Well f&^k you Justin Long![/citation]

So much fail and idiocy in this post.

1. People running hackintosh netbooks didn't buy the OS. Don't kid yourself. The vast majority of OS X netbooks are running pirated versions of OS X Leopard or OS X Snow Leopard. Apple isn't going to lose any software sales by disabling Atom support but they will certainly reduce the number of pirated copied of their software being downloaded.

2. $1500? You can get a brand new Macbook for $999 or a refurbished Macbook with a full one year warranty for $749. $749 for a Macbook isn't unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination and just happens to be 1/2 of the $1500 that you just pulled out of your ass.

The entry level price just isn't absurd anymore. But keep pulling out that argument and then inflating the price $500 to make it worthwhile.

vizzie

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
[citation][nom]jebbadiah[/nom]for apple it's money! the hard way, you don't buy, you don't get it! they've been getting a little more competetive in terms of price recently, because people aren't willing to pay their ridiculous amounts of money their things cost, but still a long way to go. i'll never understand why they're doing such things which only ignite sparks of anger. it would benefit the company when more people are interested in os x. but you don't buy, you don't get it CASH CASH CASH! as said before, it's a sad story![/citation]

What's wrong with you? Of course it's about money. Apple is a company, the job of companies is to create value for their shareholders.

You'd be surprised how many companies adhere to the "if you don't buy it, you don't get it" line of thought.

It benefits Apple nothing if people install OSX (probably pirated) on their netbooks, it benefits them when people buy an Apple latop with OSX which people who run OSX on their netbook have no reason to do.

PodSix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]Negligible? I've seen a lot of portable computers at my college, and so far, 2 of those have been laptops. The rest have been netbooks.Maybe it's different everywhere else, but I see netbooks on planes, trains, and yes, automobiles: Public buses.[/citation]

no, no... i know theres a growing market for them, look at the entire sentence. i was talking about netbook users actually giving a crap about changing OSes, not just netbook users in general.

"I can't see an even negligible amount of netbook users actually making the conscious decision to go though the trouble of changing OSes."

danny69t

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]squidrott[/nom]Seems like a stupid move. You'd think they'd want more people using their OS.[/citation]
They want that but as long as they use it corresponding to the EULA "wink, wink"

d3adp0ol

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]So much fail and idiocy in this post. 1. People running hackintosh netbooks didn't buy the OS. Don't kid yourself. The vast majority of OS X netbooks are running pirated versions of OS X Leopard or OS X Snow Leopard. Apple isn't going to lose any software sales by disabling Atom support but they will certainly reduce the number of pirated copied of their software being downloaded.2. $1500? You can get a brand new Macbook for $999 or a
refurbished Macbook with a full one year warranty for $749. $749 for a Macbook isn't unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination and just happens to be 1/2 of the $1500 that you just pulled out of your ass.The entry level price just isn't absurd anymore. But keep pulling out that argument and then inflating the price $500 to make it worthwhile.[/citation]

You are either illiterate or just ignorant. First of all, pirated copies of OS X can't use apple update in the first place, since their copies can't be verified by Apple. So yes, Apple is losing LEGITIMATE sales from this policy.

Second, I said NETBOOK, not NOTEBOOK. Sure, you can get a used, out of date and underpowered macbook for $750, but this isn't a NETBOOK. The closest thing Apple has to this product range is the Air, which starts at $1500.

So shut you face and stop being such a mac fanboy. Or at least learn to read, you stupid ass.

christop

Distinguished
Hey, I'm a mac, and I hate the poor and middle class. Can't afford a $1,500 netbook? Too bad, you're not cool enough to be a mac."d3adp0ol That's funny man!!!! Mad props to you....

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]ryokinshin[/nom]@Kinssman10.6 is $39.99 full retail.[/citation]

Uhh, no it's not. It's $169 if you don't have 10.5 for the Mac Boxset. Only the 10.6 upgrade option is $29, so let's not paint the wrong picture here.

[citation][nom]Kingssman[/nom]That's also why OSX is only $69.00 and windows 7 is $194.99[/citation]

Windows 7 Home Premium from Newegg.com is $106.99. Ultimate will run you $174.99, which your average user doesn't need. The nice thing about Windows is you can actually shop around for it and find the best deal.

G

@d3adp0ol--Pirated copies of OSX certainly CAN get Apple updates! Where'd you get that (mis)information from??? "Verified by Apple"?? WTF???!!!

@tayb--speaking of pulling out old arguments, you might want to consider your truly beloved master, Apple, and how they feel their only way to market their products is by bashing the competition (by, as you put it, pulling out old arguments that not only are not true for PC, but certainly can apply to Apple's). Apple's marketing team better get to work on a new ad campaign because Windows 7 is going to give Apple a reason to change their "Windows sucks" mantra.

G

The $39.00 upgrade and the $169 boxset are the same disc. Do you think Apple will ever check the legitimacy of your license? Never. No serial numbers are ever entered for the OS or iWork or iLife. This is an Apple tradition, and I want to keep it that way. Compare this to what MS did with XP.

All this anger comes from the recognition of the superior OS. If you are a Windows user, why do you care? christop, you are an idiot.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The reason they can't put their OS on a netbook becaues it requires almost the same ammount if not more than windows Vista. Yes I know people have already installed it but I guarentee it is not as peppy as it would be on a better system. Plus even if it did run well they wouldn't make a profit on it, they can't sell a netbook for under 900 bucks because of their apple hardware tax. Especially because the average netbook price is under 500 bucks.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Fuck Apple's Big Brother approach at this! If they would just stop being dicks about this kind of stuff, they would sell more copies of their OS![/citation]
How about Microsoft's, "Windows Genuine Advantage?" Talk about a big brother approach to selling an over priced OS.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Eccentric909[/nom]Uhh, no it's not. It's $169 if you don't have 10.5 for the Mac Boxset. Only the 10.6 upgrade option is $29, so let's not paint the wrong picture here.Windows 7 Home Premium from Newegg.com is $106.99. Ultimate will run you $174.99, which your average user doesn't need. The nice thing about Windows is you can actually shop around for it and find the best deal.[/citation]
Wrong, OSX Snow Leopard is $29. There is no separate upgrade/full version.
The 5 license version ("Family Pack") is $49.
The $169 version you speak of is a bundle including the OS, Apple's business productivity software (iWork) and their popular iLife software.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]wildwell[/nom]How about Microsoft's, "Windows Genuine Advantage?" Talk about a big brother approach to selling an over priced OS.[/citation]

but think of how much more people pirate windows vs OSX, I would have to say there are more pirated copies of windows than OSX in both pirated and non pirated copies.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
And to say the OS is overpriced because look at what you get, you get backwards compatible with legacy equipment dating back to god know when, and the latest and greatest hardware that comes out, 10.6 has to run on intel hardware. Plus your OS is able to use millions of different types of software (pretty much the reverse "there's an app for that" comercial between windows and mac).

What do you get with apple OS, practically the same look and feel as the previous 6 versions, with some kernel updates software bug fixes, and a few "new features". That being said OSX better be bulletproof because it would be sad if it wasn't because there is a hole division of your company you don't need because of their hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.