Apple Brings Back Old Tablet Developer

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Because it wouldn't be right if there wasn't at least one Apple tablet rumor a week, now would it?"

Too bad we cannot + rate an article. +1 Jane

As for the news.. that makes sense. I suppose we have to wait and see.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]Titanius[/nom]Newton was only a failure because it was way ahead of its time.[/citation]
nope
it was because it was a pricey fancy toy......

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]wasn't the newton a failure? if it was then this would be like Nintendo bringing back the creator of the virtual boy to make the next console[/citation]

Sometimes, certain technologies fail because it's the wrong time for them, they can come back and be very successful. Look at the history of the fax machine for example. Did you know there was a similar device with the same concept in the 1800s? http://www.damninteresting.com/the-fax-machines-of-the-1800s
It failed because there was not a real need for them at the time. Might be the same with this device.

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
The Newton failed for a lack of support from Apple. A year after the device was release to the market, we were still writing software with the alpha development environment. It was a device with no competition, feature-wise.

One of the best dev environments I have ever worked in. I also used one personally and the user interface was tops.

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]wasn't the newton a failure? if it was then this would be like Nintendo bringing back the creator of the virtual boy to make the next console[/citation]
Gunpei Yokoi? The guy developed a very successful toy, the ultra hand, that transformed nintendo from a card game manufacturer to a toy company. Then went into electronics developing handhelds, the game and watch series nintendo classics like donkey kong and mario bros, later he made them into arcade versions. Yokoi's next product proved his most popular, the gameboy. After the virtual boy(a product well before its technological time) had failed, Yokoi was give what in Japan they call a window seat. They paid him to come to work, sit in an office but wouldn't listen to any of his ideas. He resigned a year later to start working at koto labortories to develop the wonderswan. Unfortunately, Just a year later on October 4 1997 he died in a car crash at age 56.
I'm sorry, but that guy helped make nintendo. While the virtual boy was terrible, its creator will still be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.