Apple Bumps MacBook To Intel Skylake, Still Just That One USB Type-C Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farfolomew

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
No doubt this is really nice improvement. For those who've never seen even last years model, this thing is like a feather..lighter and skinnier than an iPad circa 2013. The problem is just the one USB port. Having owned several Windows tablets, the most annoying thing for me is when I want to use them as desktop replacements, I have to bust out my collection if myriad splitters and hubs to accommodate my mouse, video, USB hard drives, etc.

I realize you can get an adaptor for this that gives you USB, Display Port and HDMI, but that's another dongle you'll have to carry around. If you gave this thing 3 type C ports, you'd have a perfect device, and could justifibly charge $1500 for it: 1 port for charging, 1 port for video out, 1 port for USB peripheral(s).

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
No doubt this is really nice improvement. For those who've never seen even last years model, this thing is like a feather..lighter and skinnier than an iPad circa 2013. The problem is just the one USB port. Having owned several Windows tablets, the most annoying thing for me is when I want to use them as desktop replacements, I have to bust out my collection if myriad splitters and hubs to accommodate my mouse, video, USB hard drives, etc.

I realize you can get an adaptor for this that gives you USB, Display Port and HDMI, but that's another dongle you'll have to carry around. If you gave this thing 3 type C ports, you'd have a perfect device, and could justifibly charge $1500 for it: 1 port for charging, 1 port for video out, 1 port for USB peripheral(s).

I don't believe you have efficiently looked into some USB C hubs. There have been some really great designs out there, especially start ups that I don't know if they went into production. You should look into it. I remember seeing a hub that your laptop sits on (as if it had those batteries bulging out on old PC laptops) that had a plethora of connections.

vern72

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2012
I'm sorry but one USB port ain't gonna cut it. There should be, at the very least, one USB port on each side: one for a mouse and one for a power cable.

mrmez

Splendid
Hopefully they can fit another usb c on the other side in the future, but it's not like this is the ONLY laptop they sell.

Get a macbook air. 11 or 13". 2x usb, sd card slot, 3.5mm earphone jack and separate charger port.
Or a macbook pro and add two thunderbolt ports.

heffeque

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
I'm sorry but one USB port ain't gonna cut it. There should be, at the very least, one USB port on each side: one for a mouse and one for a power cable.
Just get a Bluetooth mouse. It's frustrating to only have one port for charging and other stuff, but mice shouldn't be one of those things getting in your way.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Wow. They really went the cheap way out this time: Core m series and LPDDR3 memory. A PC with that hardware, even including the software, would be half that price and have a better warranty.

mrmez

Splendid

It's actually the names that are more stupid than anything.

The macbook is smaller and lighter than the Air. Yet at 12" it falls between the 11 and 13 Air.
Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.