Apple CEO Likens Microsoft Surface to a Flying Car

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Apple has nothing to worry about with Microsoft. Microsoft has no real design talent, and they fail at virtually everything they do if they can't exert monopoly influence.

Why stoop? It makes Apple seem smaller, not better. It makes Cook seem smaller, not better. Show some class and just say nothing.

Besides, even though Microsoft is incompetent does not mean everyone else is. He's got much stronger competitors in Samsung and Amazon. And they want a piece of the action, and have already demonstrated they're quite capable of getting it.

Why waste his time worrying about a half-rate company like Microsoft? He'd better be very worried about Amazon and Samsung, because they're intelligent, bold, and inspired companies. Samsung can do things Apple wish they could do, and Amazon can make money in ways that make Apple wish they could price their products the same way.

Microsoft just sucks. Easy to pick on. But, who cares?

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
The reality:
Apple: Pay!
125 million Apple zombies: We payed!

Microsoft: Pay!
1 billion zombies: We payed!

:D Seriously bashing Apple while you are zombified by the biggest and worst IT monopoly Intel/Microsoft, who sell you for years overprices crap products.... now that's even more stupid!!!
At least Intel improved in recent years but Microsoft seriously.... wow... Windows was, is and will always be crap!!! Specifically the Windows 8 crap is an amazing thing! :D

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
It's all good and well to criticise, but they either patented or bought every intuitive interface element out there. It is well known that Apple is rather anal in their policies regarding these idiotic patents as well. It's anti-competitive and competitors can hardly be blamed for trying radical interfaces.

yannigr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
He worries and if Job could hear him talking about Microsoft producing flying cars the facepalm would have been... "incredible".

Zhou

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
I think people think the Windows 8 is confusing, is because for the past 15-20 years we been using desktop and Windows 8 surface is pretty new to some of us, who also refuses to change or try a new thing.

Oct 29, 2012
Sometimes I wish people would just be straight up honest and say 'Hey, that thing looks pretty bad-ass, but don't worry, we'll make something even better!' I mean, if you have to make your products look good by tearing down other peoples products, you might have confidence issues in your own products?

[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]You sound like a typical aHoleBoy or mOron. WTH - no $hit Sherlock, the ARM (nVidia Tegra 3 T30) is crap, that's my point. Worst it cannot play HD without dropping frames - http://www.youtube.com/watch?featu [...] s4#t=1205s So I don't think Intel has anything to worry about here. Spending an extra $100 doesn't concern me.Legacy ... as in any x86 software?! BTW - last I looked there's no Facebook/Skype RT versions. In the end, I see very little advantages to Surface, and it's essentially a small Ultrabook with a detachable keyboard. Okay, OS Preinstalled Bloat + Office Preview is actually 8GB/24.9GB (formatted loss) = 33% (1/3 used or 17GB free for all of your Apps and data - media). MicroSD - hmm I get both sides, but other than transfers and temporary it's not my idea of good storage, simply pay for more storage on either platform, and just know you're getting shafted. Installing Apps on a MicroSD is cRaZy, sure store some music (or better online streaming) or Movies (or better online streaming).GPS, damn straight I want a frigging GPS. Think about it for a minute, I'm looking for local 'stuff' - Shopping, Places, Weather, you name it -- with GPS enhanced searches you find 'your' stuff and not stuff 3000+ miles away. The entire point of these devices is mobility -- right?? -- no GPS is a Microsoft major F'up and mistake. The ASUS VivoTab RT includes a GPS, but is bigger. Bottom-line, there's good things, bad things, and a couple things that make no sense to me. I get it's a new gadget and some folks will buy any mEdiocre crap, I'm not one of them. Fix the problems and yep - Add to Cart.[/citation]
I have not gotten to play with a surface yet, but I did play with an ASUS RT tablet with very similar specs and guess waht: it plays HD video just fine. It boots fast, it shuts down fast, and it runs the interface and programs very well, and the only complaints I had about it were that it had a little too long of program load times, and that you cannot install software outside of the store environment. It is quite literally everything that netbooks were supposed to be, and it won't be long until we can get some nice cheap netbook priced devices as well.

FB is integrated into the social, picture, and chat programs on the device, plus you can simply go to the website, and if FB ever wants to make a dedicated app there is nothing to stop them... but why use an app when you have the browser and integrated features?

For bloatware, I suppose it depends on what you mean. Yes, RT is huge compared to iOS or Android, and yet it runs smoother. Most of that size is because you get real hardware support out of the box, plus all the cool legacy stuff and tools of a traditional PC such as regedit. I mean, it IS windows, just locked down a bit.

When it comes down to it the iPad is a toy that people have spend a lot of time and effort to make into something that can do work, Android has become a fractured mess that has some really neat power features but lacks hardware support, and RT is a swiss army knife with a ton of potential but a weak store which is in need of more apps. I think with the RT we will see Android deminish to the budget martket and the hardcore nerd/modder markets. Apple will see stunted growth, but users will be slow to migrate because of the investment in apps, and I think we will see Apple accelerate their plans to merge their desktop and portable OS. Meanwhile RT products will sell OK this generation, but really take off a year from now when 2nd gen hardware comes out, and when the store matures.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I'm in the aviation and there is a general consensus that a flying car is not a good plane, nor a good car. But unfortunately for Mr Cook, the surface pro is probably good at both a PC and being a toy. The iPad seriously lacks serious applications. Of course there is numbers, there are some nice navigation suites for aviation, good games and so on. But the iPad applications are always very limited compared to their MacOS or PC versions. Here you get the real thing on your tablet. With a good docking station/keyboard/..., you can do all your work on it. Just unplug it and you have all that power on the go ! The surface can be integrated correctly into Windows domains etc while the iPads always requires "special treatement"... the IT professionals will buy those tablets in mass and Mr Cook's comment will soon sound as ridiculous soon as the famous "640Kb is enough" story (by the way, Bill Gates never told that).

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Bought my 32 GB Surface last Friday from the local Microsoft store. It is awesome.

BTW to all the people thinking you only get half of the 32 GB. The install of WinRT is only 6.8 GB.

davidgermain

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]Frankly, those who purchased Windows RT and not Windows RT Pro - what the hell were you thinking?? Comparisons - http://www.winsupersite.com/articl [...] son-144545 I like Apple, but I am intrigued by the Microsoft Surface RT Pro. However, there's no way I'd consider getting the Microsoft Surface without x86 support nor one that lacks GPS, I can live without mobile broadband with tethering. I can just see it now my Microsoft Surface RT Pro tethered to my iPhone - how funny. Also, holly crap those with 32GB - 1/3~1/2 is just for the frigging OS - WTH?![/citation]

They were think i can buy to RT unit for the (suspected) price of the PRO.
And unless my company pays for one + accidental damage cover - they the PRO will not be anywhere near my house.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]chembles[/nom]Despite pre-orders, Tim Cook has a low opinion? THose things have very little to do with each other - Microsoft has a big following, so the preorders will sell out. Tim Cook has used one, and is unimpressed. Only the most tangential relationship.[/citation]

You idiot, you can smell off the typical smugness of apple people from miles, he just said he's never actually tried one, only read on it (and im assuming he's read about it from other smug apple people!!)
so his comment and thoughts in this situation are completely invalid and borderline childish!!!

Yes, I like flying cars!!!

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Im liking the ideas from MS's Surface and enjoy the competition that forces Apple and competitors to release better and better products. Of course MS is using its foot hold with its popular Office suite as the main reason to use Surface for Corp use. Also in order to have enough Surfaces available for launch MS had to use lower res screen so I would avoid the first Surface and wait for the Pro version coming soon for those interested in MS tablet.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I haven't personally played with the Surface. But from what I've read from the carefully drafted statement of our legal team, it clearly isn't as good as an iPad.
Thanks Tim, if you haven't actually used one then a canned statement from the competition-disruption department of Apple just shows you up to be exactly what we always suspected, a fawning Jobs wannabe. Your opinion doesn't count for dick.

user_ace

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Windows 8 will fail on desktops due to the lack of a Start Menu. Remember this. As far as tablets go, it will get very interesting. If anything it will (hopefully) force Apple to actually start innovating instead of giving us incremental updates. I will be getting my hands on the M$ Surface when it drops 50% in price (and it will). Meanwhile, I will be enjoying my iPad Mini. It's great to not hate either company! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.